Cancelled Flight Causes Phil Lesh To Miss Twiddle Show, But The Band Jams Grateful Dead In His Honor

first_imgThe unfortunate news left Twiddle Lesh-less, but some Bay Area musicians stepped up and joined in for the occasion. Guitarists Dan Lebowitz and Grahame Lesh – Phil’s son – both made their way to sit in with Twiddle, as did keyboardist Todd Stoops. The band closed out their set with an all-too-appropriate cover of the Grateful Dead’s “Eyes Of The World,” emotionally ending a great performance.Check out videos of “Every Soul” featuring Dan Lebowitz and Todd Stoops, as well as “Eyes Of The World” featuring Todd Stoops and Grahame Lesh, streaming below via Must Have Media. While things didn’t work out with Phil Lesh this time, let’s hope Twiddle can find a time to work with him again.Setlist: Twiddle | Terrapin Crossroads | San Rafael, CA | 2/27/17Set: Earth Mama, Syncopated Healing, Dusk Till Dawn#, Every Soul#*, Latin Tang, Doinkinbonk!!!*, Subconscious Prelude, Eyes Of The World*^Encore: Hatti’s Jam > When it Rains, It Poors*# = w/ Dan Lebowitz* = w/ Todd Stoops^ = w/ Grahame Lesh[Setlist via iTwiddle on FB] Twiddle fans were certainly elated to learn that Grateful Dead bassist Phil Lesh would be joining the band at Terrapin Crossroads last night. That was the plan, at least, but the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry.last_img read more

Indonesia closes doors to travelers from China

first_imgAfter repatriating 238 citizens from Wuhan and other cities in China, the Indonesian government declared on Sunday that it would ban all travel to and from China to prevent the spread of a deadly and highly contagious novel coronavirus.The ban, which took effect at 12 a.m. on Monday, prevents visitors who have stayed in China for 14 days or more from visiting or transiting in Indonesia. The government will suspend visa-free and visa on arrival provisions for Chinese citizens.“The government asks Indonesians not to take trips to mainland China for now,” said Foreign Minister Retno LP Marsudi, after a Cabinet meeting held by President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo at Halim Perdanakusuma Air Force Base in Jakarta on Sunday afternoon. While the Philippines reported the first death outside of China due to the recent coronavirus on Sunday, Indonesia has not yet confirmed any cases.Indonesia’s travel ban was announced hours after 238 Indonesian nationals evacuated from Wuhan and other cities in Hubei province landed on Natuna Island and were placed in quarantine at Raden Sadjad airbase.“They will undergo observation [in quarantine] for 14 days. This observation period will also be implemented on the 42 airlifting personnel from Wuhan, so 285 people will undergo this observation. They are still healthy so far,” Retno said.Spread of the new coronavirus (AFP/-)The evacuees disembarked from the Batik Air Airbus A-330 airplane at 9:23 a.m. at Hang Nadim International Airport in Batam, Riau Islands.They disembarked one by one, with long intervals between each passenger. Officers wearing hazmat suits examined the passengers and escorted them to the planes that later transported them to Natuna.The Indonesian Military (TNI) used three planes to carry the returnees from Batam to Natuna: a Hercules A-1315, a Boeing AI-7304 and a Boeing A-7306.The passengers underwent medical examinations inside the Batik Air aircraft before boarding the planes that brought them to Natuna Island.Batam Class I Port Health Office head Achmad Farchanny previously said that several health assessments, such as temperature checks, would be made.The quarantine facility will be guarded by 117 Mobile Brigade (Brimob) officers sent on a Wings Air plane to Natuna, Riau Islands, according to Police spokesman Sr. Comr. Harry Goldenhardt.“We sent our officers for preemptive security as there has been a protest from the locals [about the quarantine on Natuna],” Harry told The Jakarta Post on Sunday.On Saturday, residents protested in front of the Ranai subdistrict Military Command (Koramil) in Natuna regency in opposition to the decision to make Natuna Island the site of the quarantine.Natuna Deputy Regent Ngesti Yuni Suprapti said the central government had not consulted the administration.Of the 245 Indonesians planned to be evacuated from Hubei, only 238 arrived in Indonesia. Four people were unwilling to leave China, while three people were sick at the time of departure and were not given clearance by the Chinese government to leave the country.Read also: Coronavirus: Indonesians from Wuhan arrive in Batam, before taken to Natuna for quarantineFollowing standard health protocol, the passengers underwent multilayered medical examinations conducted by both Chinese authorities and an Indonesian medical team at Wuhan’s Tianhe International Airport.“It’s their right for those that refused. For those that did not pass, that’s the rule; the sick cannot [leave China],” Health Ministry spokeswoman Widyawati told the Post on Sunday.In quarantine, she said, the evacuees would be treated as healthy people and would be told to continue their activities, albeit at the facility.“They are actually healthy residents so we treat them as healthy people, not as sick people. We will also make them as comfortable as we can,” Widyawati said.She said that the evacuees would be treated, provided with healthy food and allowed to exercise for two weeks while their health was observed to determine if they were free from the coronavirus, which has an incubation period of up to two weeks.“They cannot be visited yet, but they can communicate using their gadgets,” Widyawati said.Viral fears: Natuna residents protest in front of Raden Sadjad Air Force Base in Ranai, Natuna, Riau Islands, on Saturday. They opposed the arrival of Indonesian citizens repatriated from Wuhan, China, in the regency, where the evacuees will be observed to ensure they are free from the new coronavirus. (Antara/Cherman)Other national governments have instated quarantines for those returning from China amid the coronavirus outbreak.The US government evacuated 195 Americans from Wuhan and has quarantined them at the March Air Reserve Base in California for 14 days.Singapore has evacuated 92 citizens from Wuhan. All Singaporeans coming from China have been put on quarantine order at home or at three university hostels in China designated as quarantine facilities.Australia plans to evacuate at least 150 of its residents from Wuhan on Monday to be quarantined on Christmas Island, Australian territory.The Foreign Ministry said the Indonesian Embassy in Beijing would take care of the four Indonesians who chose to stay in China with their family and the three others who were unable to depart because they did not pass the health screening.The Indonesian Embassy said it would be in constant communication with the remaining Indonesians and would coordinate with authorities in China to ensure those staying behind would still be able to access supplies.Foreign Ministry spokesman Teuku Faizasyah said the Indonesians who remained would be taken care of by the authorities.”The government will fully protect them,” he said. Indonesia has followed the United States, the Philippines and Singapore in imposing travel restrictions to and from China amid rapid contagion of the virus worldwide.AFP reported that, as of Sunday, the coronavirus had killed 304 in China and had infected nearly 14,500 globally, surpassing infections caused by Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), the result of another strain of coronavirus originated in China, in 2003.Often called the first pandemic of the 21st century, the SARS outbreak resulted in 8,100 cases worldwide and killed at least 775 people.Read also: Virus deaths in China rise to 360, exceeding SARS mainland tollcenter_img — Marchio Irfan Gorbiano contributed to this report.Topics :last_img read more

Jakarta injects Rp 2 trillion more for COVID-19 countermeasures

first_imgThe Jakarta administration has allocated an additional Rp 2 trillion (US$121 million) for COVID-19 countermeasures, increasing the total amount of regional funds earmarked for fighting the disease until May to Rp 3.03 trillion.Jakarta Financial Management Body (BPKD) head Edy Sumantri said the additional money was allocated from the budget for urgent expenditures, land acquisitions as well as other regional investments, including for the infrastructure development for the now-delayed Formula E electric vehicle race.“For now, we are adding Rp 2 trillion to overcome the outbreak as well as for social security measures for affected residents,” Edi said in a press statement on Thursday. He added that Governor Anies Baswedan had issued two gubernatorial regulations in March regarding the regional budget reallocation for COVID-19 matters. The money would be given to various agencies, including the health agency, social affairs agency and the Regional Disaster Mitigation Agency (BPBD).Read also: Indonesia’s budget to fight COVID-19: What we know so far“The Jakarta administration will increase the budget to handle the outbreak if the outbreak cannot be contained by May,” said Edi.The provincial administration had allocated Rp 54 billion in March to the Jakarta Health Agency for urgent expenditures of handling and preventing the transmission of COVID-19.The budget reallocation was stipulated in a 2019 gubernatorial regulation, which allowed the administration to allocate funds to regional expenditures for urgent matters outside the control of the regional administration.Jakarta also reached out to the Social Affairs Ministry, which agreed to provide Rp 1 million to each affected family for two months.The number of confirmed COVID-19 cases across the capital city has continued to surge, as health authorities had recorded 971 confirmed cases and 90 deaths as of Thursday.Topics :last_img read more

Swaraj holds wide-ranging talks with her Bahraini counterpart

first_imgManama, Jul 15 (PTI) External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj today held wide-ranging talks with her Bahraini counterpart Shaikh Khalid during which they discussed ways to expand cooperation in a number of fields including tourism, oil and gas, petrochemicals, security, defence and intelligence training.Swaraj, who is visiting Bahrain for the third time, co-chaired with Shaikh Khalid the second meeting of the India-Bahrain High Joint Commission. The first meeting of the Commission was held in New Delhi in February, 2015.”The wide-ranging discussions were held in a friendly and forward-looking atmosphere, with useful exchanges of views on bilateral, regional and multilateral issues of mutual interest,” said a joint statement issued after the meeting.The two sides discussed in detail various aspects of bilateral relations. These included ways and means to expand cooperation in the fields of education, health, housing, renewable energy, space cooperation, tourism, culture, youth and sports, women empowerment, customs, oil and gas and petrochemicals, security, defence and intelligence training and exchange of expertise, it said.They also discussed ways to enhance the cooperation between universities in both countries and the possible exchange of researchers and faculty members in the fields of food security, cyber space and energy; as well as enhancing cooperation in the field of information sharing within the framework of existing Memorandum of Understanding between the Ministry of Information Affairs and the Indian news agency, the joint statement said.They also exchanged views on regional and international issues of mutual interest, including recent developments in the Gulf, Middle East, West and South Asia.advertisementThe two sides reiterated condemnation of terrorism in all its forms and manifestations and called all states to reject and abandon the use of terrorism against other countries. They also agreed to work together for the early adoption of India’s proposed Comprehensive Convention on International Terrorism at the United Nations, the statement said.The two sides welcomed the signing of the agreement on exemption from short stay visa for holders of diplomatic and official/special passports. They agreed to consider further liberalization of visa regime for each other’s nationals.Bahrain and India agreed to explore opportunities health care industry and welcomed the signing of an MoU for cooperation in the field of healthcare, which would contribute in expanding the cooperation between the two countries.An MoU for cooperation in the field of renewable energy was signed during Swaraj’s visit, which was welcomed by the two sides as it would encourage and promote bilateral technical cooperation on new and renewable energy on the basis of mutual benefit, equality and reciprocity.The two sides also agreed to strengthen coordination on consular issues taking into consideration humanitarian cases on both sides. They agreed to work towards integration of e-Migrate system with the work permit issuance system of Bahrain.The two sides also agreed to enhance cooperation in the field of civil aviation and the Bahraini side encouraged Indian companies to participate in the Bahrain International Airshow- prominent airshow in the Region.They agreed to explore collaborative arrangements between National Space Science Agency of Bahrain and Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) in training, human resource development, use of space technologies and applications for developmental and other purposes and to benefit from the low-cost Indian experience in the operation and launch of satellites and other space areas.The two sides highlighted the importance of the regular meetings of well-established bilateral mechanisms and high-level bilateral visits.Swaraj recalled her visits to Bahrain in September 2014 and January 2016, during which she had an opportunity to meet and discuss range of bilateral and regional matters of mutual interest with the Bahraini top leadership.During the meeting, the two sides underlined their close bilateral ties, deep-rooted in shared history and cultural affinities, sustained and nourished through growing economic linkages, multi-faceted cooperation and close people-to-people contacts.Shaikh Khalid recalled the historical and friendly relations between the two countries and highly appreciated the role and contribution of the Indian expatriate community in Bahrain’s progress and economic development.The Indian community of about 3,50,000-4,00,000 people forms nearly one-fourth of Bahrain’s population.The two sides noted the existing potential for two-way investments and reaffirmed their desire to provide favourable environment for investments, both from public and private sectors, from the two countries, the statement said.Both sides agreed on the importance of regular and timely exchange of information on available investment opportunities.The High Joint Commission was established by a MoU signed between two sides during the historic visit of Bahrain King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa to India in February 2014. PTI ZHZHadvertisementlast_img read more