Design guru the face of Brisbane’s World of Style store

first_img >>FOLLOW EMILY BLACK ON FACEBOOK<< MORE: Tesla puts you a step ahead this storm season That is, according to new home builder Porter Davis, who drew inspiration from the world class destinations for their second World of Style display store that launched in Fortitude Valley last week. RELATED: Mr Whinnett said they now had a selection displays homes across the southeast corner and they exemplified new home builders desire to have something more than bricks and mortar.“They are the foundation of people’s hopes and dreams and our goal is to respect and support our customers in achieving a truly beautiful home,” he said. Neale Whittker officially launched Porter Davis’s World of Style in Fortitude Valley, on November 15, 2018. Picture AAP/David Clark.Style guru and The Block judge Neale Whitaker helped the builder officially launch the new store on November 15, five years after they opened their Melbourne shop. Whitaker said consumers now, more than ever, craved access to interior design expertise.More from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus15 hours agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market15 hours ago“Services like World of Style, that offer the full package and advice on how to style your home, are incredibly valuable when it comes to styling your home,” he said.“For me, it’s about being brave with styles and colours you like, but consistency is key.”Porter Davis Queensland state manager Grant Whinnett said the company, which started in Victoria, had made a concerted push in to Queensland, and was in its second year of operation in the sunshine state. Celeb’s plan to bring design to more homes Design tips for Christmas cheer The Whitsundays, Bahamas, Milan, Scandinavia, Barcelona – are the world destinations providing inspiration for new home designs in Brisbane. Porter Davis general manager marketing Shaun Patterson said the “state-of-the-art” style was World of Style, at 358 Wickham St, offers four themes, including Classic, Designer, Contemporary and Resort — along with 36 styles created by Porter Davis’ designers.last_img read more

Monday’s QPR quiz

first_imgTest your knowledge by seeing how many of these five QPR-related questions you can answer correctly.[wp-simple-survey-102] 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 Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

National Geographic Calls Noah’s Ark Search a Stunt

first_imgNational Geographic News has taken the announcement that McGivern’s team failed to get a permit to search Mt. Ararat (see 04/26/2004 headline) as an opportunity to question all searches and the historicity of Noah’s flood.  They questioned the character and motives of the search team and its guide, and quoted a historian who called the search for Noah’s Ark “fringe archaeology.”  The article recalled previous claims that turned out to be hoaxes, doubted the ability to detect an artificial structure from space, and discounted the story of a world-wide flood in the Bible (unless the Black Sea Flood fit the bill; see 08/22/2003 and 04/21/2001 headlines).  “Most geologists seem to agree that it would probably be impossible for a ship to make landfall at an altitude of 15,000 feet (4,570 meters),” said Stefan Lovgren, author of the article.This illustrates the damage that can be done by pre-announcing a discovery before any facts are gathered.  The satellite photo McGivern had was much too vague.  Whether his guide is a man of integrity or not could have been moot if he indeed was able to lead them to a ship on the mountain.  Lacking proof, one has no science, just hypothesis and suggestive leads.  When the promised evidence doesn’t arrive after the media fanfare, the opponents can have a field day.  This fiasco could hurt future attempts to explore the mountain.    It’s not McGivern’s fault that the Turkish government refused his request for a permit, but every would-be explorer can learn a lesson from this episode.  In a rare show of wisdom, wicked old King Ahab warned his enemy, “Let not the one who puts on his armor boast like the one who takes it off” (I Kings 20:11).  Next time, keep away from the press until you’ve got the goods in hand.  That goes for you, too, National Geographic (see 03/18/2003 headline).    For a wealth of material, photos and news on the search for Noah’s Ark, see NoahsArkSearch.com.(Visited 13 times, 1 visits today)FacebookTwitterPinterestSave分享0last_img read more

Check out the Gwynne Conservation Area at FSR

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Look for new features like wildflowers and a healthy streambank in the FSR Gwynne Conservation Area.The nearly 70-acre facility, part of the Farm Science Review’s host site, the Molly Caren Agricultural Center in London, has two new projects underway — one to diversify its prairie plantings; the other, to protect the banks of Deer Creek, which flows through the grounds.FSR Manager Zachrich said the projects offer two benefits: They improve the Gwynne itself year round. And they demonstrate practices that farmers can take home and use on their own land, too.Asters, milkweeds, blazing stars and coneflowers are some of the many wildflowers being planted in new seed mixes in the Gwynne’s 10-plus acres of prairie.Previously, the Gwynne’s prairie plantings were mostly just two grasses: big bluestem and Indian grass. The new seed mixes, which add wildflowers to the grasses, offer more benefits to pollinators, such as bees and butterflies, and to wildlife.The prairie project also is demonstrating wildflower- and wildlife-friendly management methods — involving disking, burning, removing residue or a combination. Mike Retterer, an Ohio-based biologist with the nonprofit Pheasants Forever, helped develop the strategies.Gwynne visitors can also check out Willow fascines (bundles of live stems that are planted, take root and grip soil) and riprap (large chunks of rock) — two of the tools helping to restore Deer Creek’s stream bank. As a first step, however, members of the Ohio Land Improvement Contractors of America, a longtime FSR partner, will excavate the streambank, reduce its slope and eliminate an unstable undercut.They Gwynne is also the place to catch up with experts about the mysterious beech leaf disease causing striped and curled leaves, weak buds, and sometimes the death of saplings in northeast Ohio; branch-tip damage from cicada outbreaks; powdery mildew on flowering dogwoods; thousand cankers disease in walnuts; the Asian long-horned beetle; and the spotted lantern fly, which hasn’t in fact been spotted in Ohio but is present in eastern Pennsylvania.All the activities in the Gwynne area during the FSR are included free with admission. The activities include dozens of talks, demonstrations and exhibits. Free wagon rides boarding at the FSR’s west end will take you to the Gwynne, the FSR’s harvesting demonstrations, and back to the west end. No stamp or wristband needed.last_img read more

Cheating DeathWatch: ARM Holdings Holds Out

first_imgThe ReadWrite DeathWatch is known for serving up plenty of doom, gloom and grumpiness. But for the Holiday Season, we’re taking a slightly different tack – highlighting companies and technologies that Cheated Death. Companies that might have died, but didn’t.At the plate this week is ARM Holdings, a company that was never going to go out of business, but very well might have settled for a comfortable position in a single market. Instead, it built on the low-power processing that gave it dominion over all things mobile, and now it’s poised to attack Intel on the chip giant’s own turf. Tags:#ARM#Deathwatch#IBM#Intel#microprocessors#microsoft surface Where ARM Is NowARM technology powers more than 90% of cell phones and 80% of digital cameras. It has a less-dominant but still substantial position in embedded devices, such as toasters, TVs, pacemakers and everything else in the Internet Of Things.And then there are the tablets. The iPad uses an ARM chip. So do the Samsung Galaxy Tab, the Kindle Fire and the Google Nexus. Even Microsoft hedged its bets with the Surface RT, the lower-cost, lower-power sibling to the Intel-based Surface Pro. Theres a war going on, and ARM is selling everyone guns. If a device doesn’t have a keyboard, there’s probably an ARM design inside.New PlatformsIt’s good to be king, but where do you go once you’ve cornered a market? You find another market. Instead of resting on its laurels and waiting for its lead to erode, ARM has spent the last year recruiting allies that bring the fight to Intel’s doorstep. While the Surface RT got less-than-glowing reviews, Microsoft’s tentative support could eventually lead to more head-to-head competition for Windows devices.There’s also been talk of a shift toward ARM-based Macs, though you shouldn’t hold your breath. Consumer Macs and Windows PCs are both on the long-term horizon, particularly in the ultraportable market, but power-gulping Intel chips still outperform ARM by a wide margin, and performance is still important for many computing applications. Surprisingly, then, the far more likely near-term expansion for ARM is in the datacenter. March Of The WimpsAccording to a Gartner report, energy accounts for 12% of all datacenter expenditures, and that percentage is growing. Huge arrays of low-power, cooler-running chips are a natural fit, and ARM’s minions are rushing to own the microserver market. Samsung has licensed ARM’s 64-bit server chip designs for a 2014 release, and struggling AMD is pinning much of its recovery hopes to ARM-based Opteron chips the same year. Can ARM Stay On Top?Intel sees the opportunity in mobile and embedded devices, and it haven’t conceded anything. It continues to push its low-voltage Atom processors toward those markets, and its 14nm Airmont chip (also scheduled for a 2014 launch) could be very competitive. Intel also claims to be focused on the microserver market, though that may be causing some internal conflict.One way or another, ARM will likely lose at least some of its mobile and tablet market share to Intel. The question is where. An Apple move on the iPad or iPhone would be surprising, as would a Samsung defection on anything running Android. Intel’s immediate fortunes in the space are probably tied to Microsoft, as always.Meanwhile, any losses ARM suffers to Intel in its core markets should be more than offset by the overall rising tide and ARM’s potential to attack Intel’s core strengths.To see more ReadWrite DeathWatches, check out the ReadWrite DeathWatch Series, which collects them all, the most recent first. Where ARM WasFrom its founding in 1990, Advanced RISC Machines (later changed to ARM Holdings) was a different kind of processor company. Unlike fellow chip designers IBM and Intel, ARM didn’t actually manufacture or sell the chips it created. Instead, like (pre-Nexus) Google and (pre-Surface, pre-XBox) Microsoft, ARM licensed its designs and its relationships with foundries to semiconductor companies. It even IT + Project Management: A Love Affair Massive Non-Desk Workforce is an Opportunity fo… 3 Areas of Your Business that Need Tech Now cormac foster Cognitive Automation is the Immediate Future of… Related Posts last_img read more

50-0: Floyd Mayweather stops Conor McGregor in 10th round

first_imgBefore a pro-McGregor crowd that roared every time the UFC star landed a punch, Mayweather methodically broke him down after a slow start to score his first real stoppage in nearly a decade. He did it in what he said would be his final fight, against a fighter who had never been in a professional boxing match.McGregor boxed surprisingly well early. But after landing some shots in the first three rounds, his punches seemed to lose their steam, and Mayweather went on the pursuit. McGregor backpedaled most of the way, stopping only to throw an occasional flurry as Mayweather wore him down.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSBoxers Pacquiao, Petecio torchbearers for SEA Games opening“I think we gave the fans what they wanted to see,” Mayweather said. “I owed them for the (Manny) Pacquiao fight.”McGregor had vowed to knock Mayweather out within two rounds, and he won the early rounds with movement and punches to the head. But the tide of the fight turned in the fourth round as Mayweather seemed to figure out what he had to do and began aggressively stalking McGregor. Hotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claim LAS VEGAS, NV – AUGUST 26: (R-L) Floyd Mayweather Jr. throws a punch at Conor McGregor during their super welterweight boxing match on August 26, 2017 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. Christian Petersen/Getty Images/AFPLAS VEGAS — Floyd Mayweather Jr. figured out a 50th opponent, letting Conor McGregor have the early rounds before stalking him late and leaving the mixed martial artist defenseless and exhausted on the ropes.Mayweather battered McGregor around the ring in the later rounds, finally stopping him at 1:05 of the 10th round Saturday night with a flurry of punches that forced referee Robert Byrd to stop the fight.ADVERTISEMENT “I was a little fatigued,” he said. “He was composed in there, that’s what 50 pro fights can give you.”Mayweather ran his record to 50-0, surpassing Rocky Marciano’s 49-0 record and giving himself a great parting gift. He repeated afterward that he was not going to fight again.“This is my last fight for sure. 50-0 sounds good, I’m looking forward to going into the Hall of Fame,” Mayweather said. “I picked the best dance partner to do it with.”Irish fans arrived by the thousands in the days before the fight, filling the arena for the weigh-in and boisterously cheering for their man. They even went off in the middle of the night and spray painted an Irish flag and “49-1” on a billboard on Interstate 15 promoting Mayweather’s businesses.The capacity crowd at the arena cheered McGregor on, but they quieted as the fight progressed and Mayweather showed his dominance.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Philippines falls to Vietnam in bronze medal match Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelo Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games LATEST STORIEScenter_img Biggest Pogo service provider padlocked for tax evasion Trump signs bills in support of Hong Kong protesters Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ NATO’s aging eye in the sky to get a last overhaul MOST READ Celebrity chef Gary Rhodes dies at 59 with wife by his side “I turned him into a Mexican tonight,” McGregor said. “He fought like a Mexican.”In a fight so intriguing that it cost $10,000 for ringside seats, McGregor turned in a respectable performance for someone in his first fight. But Mayweather’s experience and his ring savvy paid off as he executed his game plan to perfection.“Our game plan was to take our time, go to him and take him out in the end,” Mayweather said. “I guaranteed everybody this fight wouldn’t go the distance.”Mayweather was widely criticized for not going after Pacquiao in their megafight, and he didn’t make the same mistake this time. In a fight that could make him $200 million he seemed to stagger McGregor with a series of punches in the ninth round, then came back in the 10th eager to finish it off.McGregor went over and hugged Mayweather. He seemed almost happy in the ring afterward, secure that he had given a good performance even in losing.ADVERTISEMENT View commentslast_img read more

Krishnan Madasamy and Subrata Pal: Caught in Indian sport’s vicious circle

first_imgKrishnan MadasamyA fallen athlete is a lonely one. Who remembers Subrata Pal today? Tomorrow, who will remember Krishnan Madasamy? Both lifters, separated by 12 years, were stripped of Commonwealth Games medals and their stories run parallel, a sign how little changes in Indian sport.Kolkata-based Pal, 38 today, who tested positive,Krishnan MadasamyA fallen athlete is a lonely one. Who remembers Subrata Pal today? Tomorrow, who will remember Krishnan Madasamy? Both lifters, separated by 12 years, were stripped of Commonwealth Games medals and their stories run parallel, a sign how little changes in Indian sport.Kolkata-based Pal, 38 today, who tested positive after winning silver in Auckland in 1990, lives quietly, working for Eastern Railways. Madasamy, whose tainted Games silver came in Manchester this year, shares a one-room home with a friend and is a painter at the Integral Coach Factory in Perambur near Chennai.Two evenings after winning his medal in 1990, all Pal was told by officials was that he had to return home from Auckland. He was banned for two years and to this day maintains he was never told what “substance” he was banned for.”If we get into trouble, our coaches just desert us.” Subrata Pal, 1990 Commonwealth Games weightlifterMadasamy, who tested positive for a nandrolone derivative and could face a two-year ban, says he consumed only vitamins and creatine and cleared a dope test in March and was tested again between April and July.When he tested positive in Manchester, he said he volunteered to undergo a blood test. “But Games officials told me it cost too much. Lifting was my passion but I just don’t feel like doing anything anymore.”Pal claims his coach Pal Singh Sandhu kept track of and gave him all the medication he ever took. “He did not trust anyone else with it.” After his test, Pal said he found Sandhu unwilling to help. “If we win a medal, they’re always around to share the limelight,” he says. “But if we get into trouble, they just desert us.”advertisementPal and Madasamy have been caught in Indian sport’s vicious circle – Sandhu is still coach of the national weightlifting team.last_img read more