High Sierra Adds Tank And The Bangas, SunSquabi And More To 2017 Lineup

first_imgToday, High Sierra Music Festival announced several additions to the lineup for their 27th annual event, set to take place from June 29th – July 2nd, 2017 at the Plumas-Sierra Fairgrounds in Quincy, CA. The lineup additions include recent NPR Tiny Desk Contest winners Tank and the Bangas, Colorado live-electronic trio SunSquabi, Grammy-winning nine-piece Latin funk orchestra Grupo Fantasma, and instrumental hip-hop foursome Butcher Brown.We’re particularly excited to see Tank & The Bangas added to the High Sierra roster, after they recently won our hearts with their powerful NPR Tiny Desk concert. As fellow scheduled High Sierra performer and Tiny Desk Contest judge Trey Anastasio remarked about the NOLA hip-hop/soul/R&B/spoken word outfit’s contest submission, “Tank and the Bangas is like a psychedelic joy rap explosion. Like a female Sly Stone teleporting into 2017 and landing in New Orleans. I love this video. It makes me want to be there.” But don’t just take Trey’s word for it–you can watch the full performance below:Nestled in Quincy, CA, the High Sierra Music Festival has been recognized for its trademark sense of community and annual traditions among festivalgoers and music lovers.  The picturesque location, wide variety of artists, unique musical settings, and affordable prices have all combined to make High Sierra the ultimate, intimate festival experience. The festival features intimate artist “playshops,” an interactive Family Area, daily parades, fabulous food with no waiting lines, Yoga, Pilates and dance classes along with the opportunity to just relax and camp with good friends.  With a full spectrum of music offered on multiple daytime stages and multiple nighttime venues, the High Sierra Music Festival is an anticipated yearly event and an experience for people of all ages.You can check out the full 2017 High Sierra Music Festival Lineup below. For more information, or to purchase tickets, head to the festival’s website.last_img read more

Fewer companies close down in April

first_img24 May 2011Fewer companies closed down in April 2011 compared to the same month last year, Statistics South Africa reported on Monday.Liquidations recorded a year-on-year decrease of 25.4%, from 358 to 267, in April 2011, Statistics SA said.The number of liquidations recorded for the three months ended April 2011 fell by 7.3% compared with the same period of 2010. This was driven by fewer voluntary liquidations, dropping from 1 037 to 962 and fewer compulsory liquidations, from 59 to 54.Statistics SA said liquidations took place when the affairs of a company or close corporation were wound up because the liabilities exceeded assets, and the matter was resolved either voluntarily or by a court order.The total number of insolvencies for the first quarter of 2011 dropped by 30.5% (from 836 to 581) compared with the first quarter of 2010, the agency said.“A year-on-year decrease of 30.6% (from 360 to 250) was estimated for March 2011.”Statistics SA said insolvency referred to an individual or partnership which was unable to pay its debt and was placed under final sequestration.Recovery phase“The Stats SA trend-lines for liquidations and insolvencies have clearly entered long-term downward trends, with the figures for insolvencies, which relate to individuals, especially steep,” said Adam Harris, a director in the insolvency and restructuring department of corporate law firm Bowman Gilfillan.He said the decline for the three months to April 2011 compared to the same period in 2010, “was of a magnitude sufficient to indicate that the economy had entered a recovery phase”.Harris said the sectors hardest hit for the first four months of 2011 were financing; insurance; real estate; business services; wholesale and retail; catering and accommodation; and community, social and personal services.Sapalast_img read more

Chargesheet against 48 in Assam lynching case

first_imgThe police in Assam’s Karbi Anglong district on Saturday filed a chargesheet against 48 people for lynching two men they thought were “child lifters” on June 8. Karbi Anglong SP V. Siva Prasad Ganjala filed the chargesheet at a court in Diphu. “The 844-page chargesheet is based on the case registered at the Dokmoka police station under 11 Sections of the IPC, including murder, wrongful restraint and obstructing public servants,” DGP Kuladhar Saikia said.A mob in Panjuri Kachari village under the Dokmoka police station had dragged sound engineer Nilotpal Das, 29, and his businessman friend Abhijit Nath, 30, out of their SUV and bludgeoned them to death. The adventure-loving friends were returning from the Kangthilangso waterfall, a picnic spot.Among the 48 arrested was Alphajoz Timung, a history-sheeter who had an argument with the duo at the waterfalls. He confessed to have misled the villagers into lynching the duo with the child kidnapper story.last_img read more

Knicks Offer Anthony Max Deal

first_imgNEW YORK — The Knicks went coast-to-coast to let Carmelo Anthony know they want him to stay in New York.Team officials traveled to Los Angeles on the night of July 3 to meet with the free agent and offered him the maximum contract allowable, a person with knowledge of the details said.Team President Phil Jackson and General Manager Steve Mills were part of the meeting but not Madison Square Garden chairman James Dolan, an official with knowledge of the plans told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because details of the meeting were to remain private.The meeting was first reported by ESPN.Anthony was in Los Angeles to meet with the Lakers, who are among the teams hoping to convince the All-Star forward to leave New York. Anthony already visited Chicago, Houston and Dallas this week.The Knicks can offer him the largest contract, nearly $130 million over five years, though Jackson has said he hopes Anthony would take less than a maximum deal.Anthony had previously said he would be willing to do so if it would help build a winning team, but the Knicks have made it clear the money won’t be an object.Other teams can offer Anthony slightly less than $100 million in a four-year deal, according to NBA rules.Contracts can’t be signed until July 10, so Anthony is under no rush to make a decision. But the Knicks apparently wanted to make sure they got to make a final pitch after his free agency tour.Jackson, Mills and new coach Derek Fisher had already met with Anthony last month in Los Angeles, where he informed them he would be terminating the final year of his contract and becoming a free agent.He has never said he wants to leave the Knicks, who acquired him from Denver in a February 2011 trade. But the 30-year-old forward also said his priority is contending for championships, and the Knicks were just 37-45 last season, the first time in Anthony’s 11-year career that he missed the playoffs.(BRIAN MAHONEY, AP Basketball Writer)TweetPinShare0 Shareslast_img read more

Ayew returns to Swansea in club-record deal

first_imgTransfers Ayew returns to Swansea in club-record deal from West Ham Matthew Scott Last updated 1 year ago 05:26 2/1/18 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(0) andreayew - Cropped Getty Images Transfers Swansea City West Ham United Premier League African All Stars After 18 months in London the Ghana international has returned to Wales, where he will play alongside brother Jordan Swansea City have broken their transfer record to bring Andre Ayew back to the club from West Ham.Ayew has signed a three-and-a-half-year deal after the Swans paid a reported £18 million for his services.The Hammers forked out £20.5m – then a club record – for the Ghana international 18 months ago, and the midfielder has only started 25 Premier League games since. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Lyon treble & England heartbreak: The full story behind Lucy Bronze’s dramatic 2019 Liverpool v Man City is now the league’s biggest rivalry and the bitterness is growing Megan Rapinoe: Born & brilliant in the U.S.A. A Liverpool legend in the making: Behind Virgil van Dijk’s remarkable rise to world’s best player A hamstring injury suffered on his West Ham debut affected his momentum last term and Ayew has only started three league games since David Moyes took over at London Stadium.Ayew scored 12 goals in 34 league games in his previous, solitary season at the Liberty Stadium after signing on a free from Marseille and joins a Swans side on the up after victories over Liverpool and Arsenal, which vaulted them out of the Premier League’s relegation zone on Tuesday.The Ghana international will also have the opportunity to play alongside his younger brother Jordan, who is in his second season with the Swans after joining from Aston Villa in 2017.last_img read more

$52 Million Allocated to Asset Recovery Project

first_imgA total of $52 million has been allocated to the Caribbean Asset Recovery Project in the 2013/2014 Estimates of Expenditure, which is now before the House of Representatives.The project seeks to strengthen the Financial Investigative Division by providing technical assistance to build its criminal asset recovery capabilities in tackling serious crimes.It also purports to develop the capability of the judiciary in the preparation, presentation and hearing of financial crimes.Physical achievements include the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding between the government of Jamaica and the United Kingdom; and a Chief Technical Director has been put in place.Anticipated targets for the 2013/2014 fiscal year include: to improve preparation of prosecutor’s statement; to increase recovery of criminal assets; to increase public awareness of the benefits of recovering the proceeds of crime; training to improve the number of persons who can present proceeds of crime cases; and training to improve the number of magistrates and judges who have the requisite capability to hear proceeds of crime cases.The project is being funded through a grant from the Department for International Development and is scheduled to be completed by September 2015.By Latonya Linton, JIS Reporterlast_img read more