Wednesday was the deadline for representatives of the Newspaper Guild to notify Time Inc. brass about how many staffers accepted buyout offers as the company looks to eliminate as many as 500 from its overall workforce.Time Inc. is expected to begin slashing jobs as early as next week. The number of cuts will depend on how many volunteers stepped up for the buyout packages. I was told today by a company spokesperson, not unexpectedly, that Time Inc. won’t be disclosing the number of employees who accepted the buyouts.The New York Post’s Keith Kelly has a relatively detailed outline of how the layoffs might play out: The publisher’s biggest magazines (Time, People, Sports Illustrated, Fortune and Money) could eliminate 90 editorial positions—as many as 40 possibly coming from Fortune. During a recent earnings call, Jeff Bewkes, CEO of Time Inc. parent Time Warner, said the company will incur a $100 million charge during the fourth quarter as it begins a restructuring of Time Inc., primarily in respect to its news group. He said the restructuring will be “more targeted” in comparison to the massive changes that were made this time last year, resulting in around 600 layoffs.And about those layoffs last year: They were made department-by-department, instead of happening all at once as part of a collective announcement. News of more and more and more layoffs were unveiled in slow motion. We saw the same thing happen this fall at Condé Nast. Following the closure of Gourmet, Cookie, Elegant Bride and Modern Bride, hundreds of layoffs happened, but were announced at a painfully slow pace, over several weeks. It must have been a killer for employee morale. (In fact, morale hit such an “all-time low” the company reportedly hired a crisis intervention expert.)As Time Inc. gears up for its latest wave of job cuts, I hope, for the sake of its staffers, that the axe falls swiftly and that workers aren’t paralyzed, waiting for days and weeks for the final word about whether they will remain employed.
WILMINGTON, MA — Below are the real estate transactions in Wilmington that occurred from April 17, 2019 to April 23, 2019:Address: 2 King StreetPrice: $685,000Buyer: Dylan & Taylor SempleSeller: Samuel & Siddhi ChhoengDate: 4/19/19Use: 1-Family ResidenceLot Size: 16,000sfAddress: 6 Leonard LanePrice: $900,000Buyer: Shonna & Jonathan ScalfaniSeller: Kenneth & Jill ChisholmDate: 4/19/19Use: 1-Family ResidenceLot Size: 35,401sfAddress: 44 Nathan RoadPrice: $925,000Buyer: Peter & Lauren HaistSeller: Andrew & Nancy BarrDate: 4/19/19Use: 1-Family ResidenceLot Size: 60,871sfAddress: 4 Seneca LanePrice: $672,500Buyer: Srujith & Nikhlia KudikalaSeller: Kevin & Barbara MurrayDate: 4/17/19Use: 1-Family ResidenceLot Size: 25,000sfLike Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email [email protected] this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedRecent Wilmington Real Estate TransactionsIn “Business”Recent Wilmington Real Estate TransactionsIn “Business”Wilmington Real Estate Transactions (Week of August 13, 2019)In “Business”
Share your voice Internet Services Tech Industry Tags The EU has adopted Article 13, among other reforms. Jaap Arriens/NurPhoto via Getty Images European countries approved sweeping reforms to copyright law on Monday after the European Parliament voted to adopt the new legislation last month.The EU Copyright Directive will protect and govern how copyrighted content posted online, bringing outdated rules up to scratch for the internet age. The law has been hotly debated both by politicians and the wider tech community, with some of the world’s biggest companies taking a strong stance against the legislation — in particular a section known as Article 13.Article 13 dictates that anyone sharing copyrighted content must get permission from rights owners — or at least have made the best possible effort to get permission — before doing so. In order to do this, it’s thought that internet services and social networks will have no choice but to build and enforce upload filters and generally apply a more heavy-handed approach to moderating what users post online.For proponents of digital rights, the approval of the directive comes as a huge blow after over a year of campaigning to uphold what they see as the integrity of the internet. Following the European Parliament vote in March, there was hope that enough key countries might try to block the directive that it wouldn’t pass, but ultimately it didn’t face enough opposition on a national level (all EU legislation faces a final vote by member states before it can pass into law).Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Poland, Finland and Sweden voted against adopting the directive, whereas Belgium, Estonia and Slovenia abstained. In total 19 countries voted to approve the legislation.”This is a deeply disappointing result which will have a far-reaching and negative impact on freedom of speech and expression online,” said Catherine Stihler, chief executive of rights group the Open Knowledge Foundation in a statement. “The controversial crackdown was not universally supported, and I applaud those national governments which took a stand and voted against it.”But not every was disappointed by Monday’s result. A coalition of organizations representing news publishers in Europe celebrated the adoption of the directive. “This important reform will help make the EU copyright regime fit for the digital age without stifling digital innovation,” said Christian Van Thillo, chairman of the European Publishers Council in a statement. 2 Comments
.The Dhaka North City Corporation (DNCC) has set up City Digital Centre at 30 wards out of 36 aimed at reaching services using Information Communication Technology (ICT) to every doorstep.“We have already installed City Digital Centre at 30 wards out of 36 under the DNCC and the centres have been working relentlessly to ensure providing of information and services to the city dwellers to implement the vision of making Digital Bangladesh,” DNCC ICT consultant Asif Rahman Shaikat told BSS on Monday.”The city digital centres have been installing under the Access to Information (a2i) project of the prime ministers’ office with a view to further development of ICT sector and reaching services to every doorstep,” he said.Asif also said that these digital centres will soon be set up at six other wards.According to him, a total of 72 people, two each in 36 wards, have already been giving training to build up them as entrepreneurs and help them becoming self reliant with working in the digital centres. DNCC public relations officer ASM Mamun informed that two desk top computers, two printers, one photocopy machine, one scanner, two pen drives of 16 GB, one webcam, one file cabinet, two computer tables and eight chairs were given to each of the City Digital Centre.According to him, the digital centres will deliver different services to the people such as land related services, life insurance, information of allowances under the social safety net, citizen certificate, health advise, visa application, internet bruising, video conferencing, mobile banking, computer training, results of public recruitment tests, paying bill of different utility services, online admission to different universities and agriculture information.
Kolkata: The Regional Meteorological Centre in Alipore on Wednesday issued a warning of heavy to very heavy rainfall in several South Bengal districts, including the city, in the next 24 hours. The northern parts of the state will also witness rainfall till Friday.A cyclonic circulation over the northern part of Bay of Bengal has formed into a low pressure area over the bay and its adjoining areas, bringing heavy downpour in the state. Under its influence, heavy to very heavy rain is likely to occur in North 24-Parganas, South 24-Parganas, Nadia and Murshidabad, Hooghly, West Midnapore and South 24-Parganas. Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal lifeAccording to the weather office prediction, the other districts will also receive moderate to heavy rainfall in the next 24 hours. It has been learnt that the low pressure trough has become stationary at one point and is moving very slowly. So, it may cause heavy rain in various places in both North and South Bengal districts. There is a possibility of strong wind blowing in some parts along with rain, the Met office has predicted.According to experts, the low pressure area over Bay of Bengal may turn into a depression during the next 24 hours, resulting in more rain in the state. In view of the prediction of heavy rainfall, the fishermen in the coastal districts have been advised not to venture into the sea as it might turn turbulent. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Mercedes car in Kolkata, 2 pedestrians killedAccording to a senior weather official, a few days ago a low pressure trough had formed over North Odisha and adjoining parts of Bengal and gained strength, contributing to rainfall in the state. Rain is also predicted in the North East states as well.It may be mentioned that the city and other districts have been witnessing moderate to heavy rainfall for the past few days. Continuous rain for the last few days have, however, given some relief to the city dwellers as both the temperature and the humidity levels have been brought down by the downpour.The people were experiencing sweltering heat before it started raining. The situation is likely to continue in the next couple of days, when city residents will experience comparatively comfortable weather.
February 29, 2016 Waiting patiently for the day when you won’t have to keep track of all your passwords? Microsoft took a field trip this weekend to help further the development of an alternative.On Saturday, the tech giant set up shop at popular Seattle tourist site the Ballard Locks to get help from a handful of volunteers who lent their visages to the company’s research for Windows Hello, a year-old biometric authentication system for Windows 10.Related: 3 Biometrics Startups Heating Up the Password Security Race The tech giant created 3-D infrared scan of participants’ faces in an effort to “gather a wide variety of real-world scans to improve the accuracy of the facial recognition technology,” according to GeekWire.The people who donated five minutes and their likenesses signed a release ahead of time explaining that the 3-D scans would only be used for the company’s research. Free Webinar | Sept 5: Tips and Tools for Making Progress Toward Important Goals 1 min read Attend this free webinar and learn how you can maximize efficiency while getting the most critical things done right. Register Now »
<< Previous PostNext Post >> Share Samantha KniggeTORONTO — Vancouver Flight Centre agent Samantha Knigge has been drawn as the winner of Trafalgar’s European Highlights contest that ran in the Europe edition of Travel Professional.Trafalgar’s nine-day ‘European Highlights’ includes accommodation for eight nights, 11 meals, all land transfers, luxury air-conditioned coachs, hand-picked Insider Experience, all porterage and restaurant gratuities, must-see sighseeing experience and surprise extras, an expert travel director and VIP entry to many of the sights.“I am so happy to receive this opportunity Travelweek and Trafalgar. I have been selling and recommending Trafalgar to all of my clients in my three years in the travel industry. All of my clients who I send away come back telling me how amazing their experience was, so I am so excited to experience it firsthand. I can’t wait to learn more about this fantastic company so I can continue to pass on my knowledge to many more clients,” said Kinge about her win.For more about Trafalgar, go to trafalgar.com.For more travel agent contests, go to travelweek.ca/contests. Tuesday, April 18, 2017 [PEOPLE] Trafalgar draws winner for ‘European Highlights’ contest Posted by Tags: Contests, People, Trafalgar Travelweek Group
PALMA DE MALLORCA — Melia Hotels International is set to debut a sprawling new all-inclusive resort in Punta Cana in time for the busy winter season.Costing $110 million and featuring 288 suite-style accommodations, The Grand Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real is located 30 minutes from Punta Cana International Airport on the famed Playa de Bavaro. Upon completion, it will also boast seven restaurants and bars, a full-service spa, kids club, aqua adventure park and a wellness facility with gym equipment.Rooms will range from 800 to over 3,000 square feet, with suites including either one or two bedrooms, living and dining spaces, soaking tubs, walk-in showers, private balconies with hydro-massage whirlpool tubs and outdoor living spaces. Most noteworthy of the suites are The Grand Reserve’s Swim-Up Suites featuring one or two bedrooms, direct access to an exclusive pool, lush garden areas and a solarium.Co-existing with hotel guests will be an additional 144 suites for members of Circle by Melia for a total of 432 suites in the entire building. Launched in 2016, Circle by Melia is Melia Hotels International’s vacation membership program that includes private transfers, exclusive dining experiences, spa treatments and special add-on amenities for children and couples.More news: Sunwing offers ultimate package deal ahead of YXU flights to SNU, PUJOther top selling points will be the Cigar Bar, coming this winter, The Grand Reserve Spa by Natura Bissé featuring 14 treatment rooms and a relaxation room, and Stay at One & Play at Three privileges, which include complete access to the extensive property offerings at both The Reserve and Paradisus Palma Real.“We’re eager and excited to welcome The Grand Reserve to the Melia Hotels International family later this year, said Alvaro Tejada, Senior Vice President for the Americas for Melia Hotels International.” With its unique design superior amenities and new technological advancements, The Grand Reserve is set to radically transform the way travelers experience our hotels in the Dominican Republic.”In addition to The Grand Reserve, Melia Hotels International is transforming its Meliá Caribe Tropical property into two distinct properties: Meliá Punta Cana Beach Resort for adults only, and Meliá Caribe Beach resort for families, set to be completed by November 2018. Share Thursday, June 21, 2018 Posted by Tags: Melia Hotels, Punta Cana Travelweek Group Opening this December: Melia’s newest resort in Punta Cana << Previous PostNext Post >>