Clare County Council to purchase Holy Island

first_img Previous articleGrandmother’s intentions for LimerickNext articleULSU president adopts Anchorman welcome for new students Liam Togherhttp://www.limerickpost.ieLiam joined the Limerick Post in December 2012, having previously worked in other local media organisations. He holds an MA in Journalism from the University of Limerick and is particularly interested in sports writing. New high-end jobs for Shannon Discover the wonders of Limerick during Heritage Week Only re-integration will solve Shannon Airport crisis RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR TAGSBrian BorúClareClare County CouncilCllr John CroweheritageHoly IslandInis CealtraLough DergMountshannon Print Email Shannon Airport braced for a devastating blow Facebookcenter_img Advertisement NewsClare County Council to purchase Holy IslandBy Liam Togher – September 10, 2014 839 Linkedin Is Aer Lingus taking flight from Shannon? Twitter CLARE County Council has confirmed that it is an advanced stage of negotiations to secure the purchase of Holy Island (Inis Cealtra) on Lough Derg.Holy Island is considered to be of the most important historical and ecclesiastical sites in Ireland, has historical links to Brian Ború and is known throughout East Clare as the ‘Jewel of the Lough’.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up The ruins and buildings still standing on the 50-acre island date back as far as the 7th century when the monastic site was established by St Caimin. Buildings on the island include a 24-metre high Round Tower, an Oratory and a number of churches. The island lies close to the village of Mountshannon and is on the UNESCO World Heritage site tentative list as an Early Medieval Monastic site along with Clonmacnoise, Durrow, Glendalough, Kells and Monasterboice.Mayor of Clare Cllr John Crowe is pleased that discussions are at an advanced stage and said he is “confident the acquisition of this important site can be completed.”The Clare County Council Cathaoirleach said: “I briefed the Tourism Minister, Pascal Donohue TD, on the current status during his recent visit to Clare and I also have been in contact with the Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht and the Minister of State with responsibility for the Office of Public Works who already own land on the island.“It would be tremendous to secure public ownership of Holy Island this year, considering it is the millennial anniversary of the death of Brian Ború. My Council colleagues as well as Clare’s six Oireachtas members are very supportive of public ownership of this important site.” WhatsApp Shannon Chamber Webinar to help people cope with the stresses of COVID-19last_img read more

Authorities Follow the Trail of Alex Saab, Nicolás Maduro’s Front Man

first_imgBy Gustavo Arias Retana/Diálogo November 18, 2020 The Colombian Office of the Attorney General seized assets valued at $9.8 million from Alex Saab, a Colombian businessman and Nicolás Maduro’s front man, CNN reported on October 17, 2020. Authorities seized two properties in Barranquilla and Cartagena and three companies that Saab used for money laundering, the report says.“Apparently [the companies] were used to launder money from a criminal organization, since it became clear that they were likely created as a front by people close to Alex Saab, since they had no financial or patrimonial means; and even so, they increased their assets disproportionately,” the Colombian Office of the Attorney General reported via Twitter on October 16, stating: “#AttorneyGeneral conducts investigation against Alex Naim Saab Morán for alleged money laundering, illicit enrichment, fictitious export or import, and conspiracy to commit a crime.”Saab and Maduro’s relationship is directly linked to the food boxes of the Local Supply and Production Committees (CLAP, in Spanish). The CLAP program distributes food boxes that are sold to Venezuelans who are registered in Chavista committees. Beneficiaries cannot choose the staples, as the food is prepared in advance, nor can they decide when to access them.Venezuelan lawyer Mariano de Alba, who specializes in law and international relations, told Diálogo from the United States that the Chavismo system used the aid to conduct overpriced business practices and money laundering. Saab was one of the main businessmen involved in this corruption scheme.“A good part of the system of food imports [to Venezuela] has become a mafia scheme. It all starts when the food import contracts are given to people who are close to the government, and they sell the food at elevated prices, obtaining a financial return for their loyalty,” De Alba said. “But it doesn’t end there. When the food finally arrives in Venezuela, the scheme includes determining where to distribute that food, based on the area and its people’s political affinity with the government, as well as bribes to public officials and the military to mobilize or deliver the food.”Other seizuresThe Colombian newspaper El Tiempo reported on September 14 that U.S. authorities froze about $700 million from Saab’s accounts located in the European Principality of Liechtenstein. The U.S. Department of the Treasury has sanctioned Saab in July 2019, and the Department of Justice has been investigating him for money laundering since that same month.Saab has been detained in the African Republic of Cape Verde since June 12. He was arrested due to an Interpol Red Notice. At the end of that month, the United States requested the Colombian national’s extradition to prosecute him. However, the process has been delayed, and Saab remains on the small island.De Alba explained that Saab’s ties with Chavismo are evident in more than the CLAP, as the businessman became a very important figure for Maduro’s shady business dealings.“There are indications that Saab was not only the regime’s main financial operator, but also Maduro’s personal front man, who used him as a direct vehicle to embezzle funds, with Saab having to give Maduro a share of the surcharge that he charged the Venezuelan state. The relationship is so intimate that when Saab was arrested, the Venezuelan government, surprisingly, without ever having said so, attempted to argue [immunity] because he was a diplomatic representative of the Venezuelan state,” he concluded.last_img read more

MBB : STILL SOARING: Orange holds off Golden Eagles’ comeback attempt to remain undefeated

first_imgWith Syracuse’s perfect start perhaps swaying in the balance, Dion Waiters vaulted in front of Darius Johnson-Odom, determined to preserve it for at least one more game.Johnson-Odom rose for a 3-pointer with just more than four minutes left, making an effort to carry on a Marquette comeback from what once was a 23-point deficit. But Waiters swatted the crucial shot away with his right hand, taking the ball the other way for a layup.The play was a five-point swing. The Golden Eagles’ leading scorer tried to cut SU’s once-insurmountable lead to just one. Waiters pushed it to six.‘If you lose a lead, especially at home, it’s easy to start worrying and thinking about what’s happening,’ SU head coach Jim Boeheim said. ‘And instead I thought — obviously Dion made a huge block, finished it at the other end.’Waiters came up with the big play and some of his teammates contributed in the waning minutes as well, as No. 1 Syracuse (17-0, 4-0 Big East) hung on to defeat No. 20 Marquette (12-4, 1-2) 73-66 in front of a season-high crowd of 25,412 in the Carrier Dome on Saturday. Syracuse played a remarkably crisp first half defensively, holding the Golden Eagles without a field goal for a stretch of 11:13 as the Orange went on a 23-1 run. Boeheim even said it was the best his defense has been all year.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textYet Marquette stormed back. The Golden Eagles never led, but cut SU’s lead to as little as two, leading to some tense moments down the stretch as the Orange scrambled to unearth its first-half dominance. ‘We just came out lackadaisical I guess and not really playing defense,’ Waiters said of the second half. ‘And it hurt us, turned into a ballgame.’The near-collapse came after Syracuse ran laps around Marquette in the first half. In SU’s first game against a ranked Big East team this season, it appeared to be no sweat at all in the first 20 minutes.Marquette forward Davante Gardner bodied Baye Keita in the paint to score a bucket, pulling the Golden Eagles within 12-11 with 13:31 left in the first half. But that would be the last shot to fall for Marquette for more than one-quarter of the game.Vander Blue’s 3 from the right wing with 2:18 to go was Marquette’s first field goal since Gardner’s bucket. By then, SU’s lead had ballooned to 35-15.‘We were playing unbelievable defense in the first half,’ Waiters said.Fab Melo took four charges in the first half — three of them while battling foul trouble. SU’s offense struggled to ignite, but eventually, Brandon Triche and Kris Joseph buried the Golden Eagles with 3-pointers. Joseph led SU with 17 for the game and Triche added 16.With the Orange leading 23-12, Triche missed his own shot, but muscled inside to grab the rebound on the baseline. He found Waiters, who found Joseph — who buried a 3 from the top of the key, prompting a Marquette timeout. Less than two minutes later, a Triche triple boosted the lead to 31-12.But SU’s momentum was sapped soon after coming out of the locker room for the second half, and suddenly, the Orange couldn’t do much offensively or defensively.‘The way they were playing, they weren’t as active, I think, first half,’ Triche said. ‘In the second half they were moving, getting to spots, getting there a little faster. I think they were much easier to guard in the first half.’With three fouls, and not in perfect position, Melo didn’t go hard after Marquette guard Junior Cadougan in the lane, and he made a layup to cut the score to 42-32 less than five minutes into the second half.Marquette’s defensive pressure ramped up as well. The Golden Eagles forced nine second-half turnovers while giving the ball up just four times.‘They drove and we didn’t get in front of them,’ Boeheim said. ‘And part of it’s what they did well and part of it’s what we didn’t do well.’The lead never grew larger than nine for the final 11:33. Syracuse lost its explosiveness on offense and tenacity on defense.Marquette began to hit clutch shots. Blue found Cadougan on the right wing for a 3 to bring the Golden Eagles within 51-48 — and there was still 9:17 left to be played. Boeheim called a timeout, and Marquette’s players celebrated the surge.With SU regaining distance, now up 57-49, Jae Crowder buried a 3 from the left wing, putting a finger to his lips and shushing the crowd as he stared down the Orange bench.And Johnson-Odom had an opportunity to quiet the Carrier Dome again. He could have pulled Marquette within 61-60, bringing the game as close as it had been since it was scoreless.But Waiters made what SU guard Scoop Jardine deemed the play of the game. He kept the Orange perfect after a second half that was far from it.‘When the game got down to the line we made a couple plays,’ Boeheim said, ‘and I think that’s a great thing.’[email protected] Published on January 6, 2012 at 12:00 pm Contact Mark: [email protected] | @mark_cooperjr Commentscenter_img Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more