Govt in the dark over spate of power outages

first_imgAlmost one week after another spate of blackouts gripped the nation, Government has said it is yet to be given by the Guyana Power and light (GPL) official reason for the blackouts.While the power company has made a public statement on the matter, it has not yet officially briefed Government. That is according to Minister of State, Joseph Harmon, who said on Friday that Government has relied on the statement made by the power company on Thursday.“I don’t have a particular statement on the matter. It did not come up at Cabinet, but I’ve read — just like you — in the public media that Mr Badal had made some statements that they were taking steps to make the electricity supply more reliable,” Harmon told the media at a post-Cabinet press conference.On Thursday, after much outcry from citizens (GPL), said “a botched tree trimming exercise and a burnt jumper” were among the reasons for the electricity woes.GPL’s Acting Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Renford Homer, also explained that shutdown of the Demerara-Berbice Interconnected System (DBIS) on Sunday resulted from a generation shortfall occasioned by reduced generation reserve.Homer explained that when the demand was about 84 megawatts, there were 87 megawatts available for generation, which left only three megawatts of reserve capacity, instead of the normal 20 megawatts. Moreover, the machines at Skeldon and Garden of Eden were being overhauled, whilst the one at Kingston was undergoing routine maintenance.On Monday, at approximately 15:15h, GPL received a report of a burnt jumper on one of its feeders, and the transmission distribution crew quickly responded. However, while attempting to close that feeder, the system sensed an unusual surge of high current and the protection network was activated, taking the generating system offline. However, sufficient generation was available to meet the demand at that time, Homer explained.At approximately 08:45h on Wednesday, some customers on the DBIS experienced a disturbance when a number of feeders were lost due to a tree-trimming exercise being conducted by Atlantic Hotel Incorporated on Battery Road, Kingston.Homer pointed out that the trimmed branches fell across GPL’s primary network, causing a severe movement on two of the conductors which became intertwined. The generation at Kingston plant went offline.last_img read more

Modernization plan at Boron High still alive

first_img “The Department of State Architect had canceled it due to some clerical stuff, and so we have been working with them. They re-evaluated the cancellation and agreed it should be reinstated,” Summerbell said. Even though the project was previously approved, the district must update its application to take into account changes in fire alarm regulations and other changes in standards, Summerbell said. In challenging the cancellation of the Boron High School project, district officials questioned why the state disregarded the lateness of the project plans when it was initially approved. “We were questioning why two years after they approved it, they decided to disapprove it because of timelines that they had not paid attention to in the first place,” Summerbell said. The district also noted that paperwork had been turned in late for the West Boron project but that it was not canceled, Summerbell said. Karen Maeshiro, (661) 267-5744 [email protected] 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! BORON – Muroc Joint Unified School District officials have been given another chance at state aid for a proposed $1.6 million modernization of Boron High School, which was previously canceled due to a missed deadline. The district must now update its application for funding and get it to the state Allocation Board by spring, which is when district officials have been told the money will run out. “That was good news to get it reinstated,” Superintendent Mike Summerbell said. “If it hadn’t been, all the money would be gone. We are fortunate to have at least a shot at it here.” If approved by the Allocation Board, the state will pay 60 percent of the $1.6 million cost, the district 40 percent. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORESanta Anita opens winter meet Saturday with loaded card The district has finished modernization work at all of its campuses except for West Boron and Boron High School. The $1 million refurbishment at West Boron is under way. The modernization of the Boron High School campus was canceled by the state because state officials said the district was tardy in sending project plans back to the state. The district eventually resubmitted the plans, past a six-month deadline, and the project was approved by the state around 2002. Then two years later, the state sent a letter to the district, saying the project was not approved. The district challenged the cancellation and sent attorneys to meet with officials from the Department of the State Architect to try to get the project reinstated. last_img read more