Indonesia closes doors to travelers from China

first_imgAfter repatriating 238 citizens from Wuhan and other cities in China, the Indonesian government declared on Sunday that it would ban all travel to and from China to prevent the spread of a deadly and highly contagious novel coronavirus.The ban, which took effect at 12 a.m. on Monday, prevents visitors who have stayed in China for 14 days or more from visiting or transiting in Indonesia. The government will suspend visa-free and visa on arrival provisions for Chinese citizens.“The government asks Indonesians not to take trips to mainland China for now,” said Foreign Minister Retno LP Marsudi, after a Cabinet meeting held by President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo at Halim Perdanakusuma Air Force Base in Jakarta on Sunday afternoon. While the Philippines reported the first death outside of China due to the recent coronavirus on Sunday, Indonesia has not yet confirmed any cases.Indonesia’s travel ban was announced hours after 238 Indonesian nationals evacuated from Wuhan and other cities in Hubei province landed on Natuna Island and were placed in quarantine at Raden Sadjad airbase.“They will undergo observation [in quarantine] for 14 days. This observation period will also be implemented on the 42 airlifting personnel from Wuhan, so 285 people will undergo this observation. They are still healthy so far,” Retno said.Spread of the new coronavirus (AFP/-)The evacuees disembarked from the Batik Air Airbus A-330 airplane at 9:23 a.m. at Hang Nadim International Airport in Batam, Riau Islands.They disembarked one by one, with long intervals between each passenger. Officers wearing hazmat suits examined the passengers and escorted them to the planes that later transported them to Natuna.The Indonesian Military (TNI) used three planes to carry the returnees from Batam to Natuna: a Hercules A-1315, a Boeing AI-7304 and a Boeing A-7306.The passengers underwent medical examinations inside the Batik Air aircraft before boarding the planes that brought them to Natuna Island.Batam Class I Port Health Office head Achmad Farchanny previously said that several health assessments, such as temperature checks, would be made.The quarantine facility will be guarded by 117 Mobile Brigade (Brimob) officers sent on a Wings Air plane to Natuna, Riau Islands, according to Police spokesman Sr. Comr. Harry Goldenhardt.“We sent our officers for preemptive security as there has been a protest from the locals [about the quarantine on Natuna],” Harry told The Jakarta Post on Sunday.On Saturday, residents protested in front of the Ranai subdistrict Military Command (Koramil) in Natuna regency in opposition to the decision to make Natuna Island the site of the quarantine.Natuna Deputy Regent Ngesti Yuni Suprapti said the central government had not consulted the administration.Of the 245 Indonesians planned to be evacuated from Hubei, only 238 arrived in Indonesia. Four people were unwilling to leave China, while three people were sick at the time of departure and were not given clearance by the Chinese government to leave the country.Read also: Coronavirus: Indonesians from Wuhan arrive in Batam, before taken to Natuna for quarantineFollowing standard health protocol, the passengers underwent multilayered medical examinations conducted by both Chinese authorities and an Indonesian medical team at Wuhan’s Tianhe International Airport.“It’s their right for those that refused. For those that did not pass, that’s the rule; the sick cannot [leave China],” Health Ministry spokeswoman Widyawati told the Post on Sunday.In quarantine, she said, the evacuees would be treated as healthy people and would be told to continue their activities, albeit at the facility.“They are actually healthy residents so we treat them as healthy people, not as sick people. We will also make them as comfortable as we can,” Widyawati said.She said that the evacuees would be treated, provided with healthy food and allowed to exercise for two weeks while their health was observed to determine if they were free from the coronavirus, which has an incubation period of up to two weeks.“They cannot be visited yet, but they can communicate using their gadgets,” Widyawati said.Viral fears: Natuna residents protest in front of Raden Sadjad Air Force Base in Ranai, Natuna, Riau Islands, on Saturday. They opposed the arrival of Indonesian citizens repatriated from Wuhan, China, in the regency, where the evacuees will be observed to ensure they are free from the new coronavirus. (Antara/Cherman)Other national governments have instated quarantines for those returning from China amid the coronavirus outbreak.The US government evacuated 195 Americans from Wuhan and has quarantined them at the March Air Reserve Base in California for 14 days.Singapore has evacuated 92 citizens from Wuhan. All Singaporeans coming from China have been put on quarantine order at home or at three university hostels in China designated as quarantine facilities.Australia plans to evacuate at least 150 of its residents from Wuhan on Monday to be quarantined on Christmas Island, Australian territory.The Foreign Ministry said the Indonesian Embassy in Beijing would take care of the four Indonesians who chose to stay in China with their family and the three others who were unable to depart because they did not pass the health screening.The Indonesian Embassy said it would be in constant communication with the remaining Indonesians and would coordinate with authorities in China to ensure those staying behind would still be able to access supplies.Foreign Ministry spokesman Teuku Faizasyah said the Indonesians who remained would be taken care of by the authorities.”The government will fully protect them,” he said. Indonesia has followed the United States, the Philippines and Singapore in imposing travel restrictions to and from China amid rapid contagion of the virus worldwide.AFP reported that, as of Sunday, the coronavirus had killed 304 in China and had infected nearly 14,500 globally, surpassing infections caused by Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), the result of another strain of coronavirus originated in China, in 2003.Often called the first pandemic of the 21st century, the SARS outbreak resulted in 8,100 cases worldwide and killed at least 775 people.Read also: Virus deaths in China rise to 360, exceeding SARS mainland tollcenter_img — Marchio Irfan Gorbiano contributed to this report.Topics :last_img read more

Extra space to downsize your life

first_imgMore from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus19 hours agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market19 hours agoIngenia Lifestyle BethaniaIngenia Lifestyle project sales manager Leanne Tate said downsizers could select a home that suits their lifestyle, with a variety of options on offer.“As part of our new stage, we have released a new range of home designs from two-bedroom floor plans, two-bedroom plus study and three-bedroom home designs,” Ms Tate said. “We’ve seen the popularity for our Beech Orchid home design soar over the past few months, with residents making the most of the flexible two-bedroom and study home.“These homes also feature a one-and-a-half garage space – a saving grace for those who need a little extra storage.”Homes in the new release start at $299,000.Since downsizing from their New Farm property, Lynette and Peter Ward have been able to travel for up to eight months at a time knowing that their home was secure. Lynette and Peter Ward have been able to travel for up to eight months at a time knowing that their home was secure.“We downsized into Ingenia Lifestyle Bethania when I was just 48 years old and my husband had not long turned 50. (We) used it as our base while we travelled around Australia,” Mrs Ward said. “It was great downsizing when we did – we were able to be close to family and still have the flexibility to travel. Knowing if we go away for a weekend or longer our home is safe and our neighbours are keeping an eye on it was a major drawcard.”Ingenia Lifestyle Bethania is a land lease community. Buyers can purchase a manufactured home and lease, rather than own, the land, eliminating the need to pay stamp duty. To help seniors transition through the downsizing process, Ingenia Lifestyle Bethania is offering seniors a $10,000 cashback bonus. Find out more at the open day. Refreshments and a light lunch included. Ingenia Lifestyle Bethania.Ingenia Lifestyle will launch its latest home release at Bethania today, with designs suited to downsizers needing extra storage space.The release will coincide with an open day at Ingenia Lifestyle Bethania, which runs from 10am to 2pm.last_img read more

Sunrisers Hyderabad aim to end losing streak against Chennai Super Kings

first_imgHyderabad: It will be an uphill task for the Sunrisers Hyderabad to secure a victory and get back on the winning track when they take on Chennai Super Kings at the Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium on Wednesday in the ongoing edition of the Indian Premier League. Sunrisers, who secured three back to back wins after their loss in the opening encounter in the ongoing IPL, have failed miserably in the last three games.Their batting, which has been largely dependent on the destructive opening pair of Johnny Bairstow and David Warner, hasn’t been able to perform and appears to be in disarray as none of the other batsman have taken the responsibility and finish the games. The Kane Williamson-led side are currently standing at the sixth spot in the points table, and would be desperately hoping to get a win under their bag and move up the table.Chennai, on the other hand, is sitting pretty at the top of the points table with 14 points from eight games. The Men in Yellow will look to confirm their spot in the playoffs against the Sunrisers. In the batting department, Suresh Raina, Faf du Plessis and captain M.S. Dhoni have all been among the runs while the bowling has also looked pretty strong with Deepak Chahar, Imran Tahir and Harbhajan Singh taking the responsibility and picking up wickets at regular intervals. (IANS)Also Read: Sports Newslast_img read more

The ATP confirms that the calendar is maintained despite the suspension of Indian Wells

first_imgThe ATP tries to return to regular after the announcement this Monday of the suspension of the BNP Paribas Open, the 1,000 Masters of Indian Wells, after the native authorities introduced a optimistic for coronavirus in the space of ​​the Coachella Valley, close to the space the place the occasion was to be performed.Hours after listening to the information of the suspension, the president of the ATP, Andrea Gaudenzi, issued an announcement wherein he introduced that the calendar is maintained despite what occurred in Indian Wells. “Whereas we remorse that the BNP Paribas Open can’t be celebrated, the Indian Wells Masters 1,000, the ATP Tour calendar, despite what occurred in Indian Wells, will preserve its typical state. We’ll proceed to observe the state of affairs every day, working carefully with the gamers and organizers of tournaments realizing that the tips will likely be taken by native well being authorities. We’re dedicated to exploring all choices for the subsequent tournaments, as the well being and security of our gamers and members of the ATP circuit stay our high precedence. “ One of the first indicators of returning to regular in tennis was the announcement made by the Miami Masters 1,000, confirming that its match, scheduled between March 25 and April 5, will likely be held on the scheduled date despite the 15 infections that have been detected in the state of Florida (167 have been detected in California and two folks have already died trigger of the illness).last_img read more