SHARE Email Facebook Twitter Gov. Wolf, Sen. Casey Announce $3 Million in State Funding for New Project HOME Facility in Philadelphia Equality, Press Release Philadelphia, PA – Governor Tom Wolf and Senator Bob Casey today announced a $3 million grant to help fund the construction of a new Project HOME building with LGBTQ-friendly affordable housing units for young adults who are homeless or at risk of homelessness.“Nationwide, 40 percent of homeless young adults identify as LGBTQ, and we know that without early interventions to educate, employ, and empower homeless youth, and without a stabilizing force in their lives, it becomes incredibly hard to break the cycle they are caught in,” Governor Wolf said. “This project will target that population, giving them a place to stay and access to critical services that they need to get back on their feet in a time of intense need.”“Our nation has a deep and abiding obligation to the most vulnerable, a mission Project HOME fulfils daily,” Senator Casey said. “Earlier this year I called for additional resources to combat homelessness, particularly among children. I worked to help secure this grant so that more children in Southeastern Pennsylvania will be able to have this basic measure of security. This grant will also ensure that LGBTQ youth have an opportunity to reside in a secure and affirming environment.”The $3 million Redevelopment Assistance Capital Program (RACP) funding will go toward construction of a four-story, 36,000 square-foot building at 1315 N. 8th Street in the Kensington section of the city. It will include 30 one-bedroom units of affordable housing targeted to young adults (age 18-25) who are homeless, have experienced homelessness, or are at risk of homelessness (including those aging out of foster care), and will be LGBTQ-friendly. Residents will benefit from a combination of housing, employment, education and health care-related services, as well as case management, life skills and community-building activities.“Project HOME is very grateful for the partnership with Governor Wolf and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania,” said Sister Mary Scullion, President and Executive Director of Project HOME. “With their extraordinary leadership, the $3 million RACP grant will leverage an estimated $13 million in total direct capital investment to support phase one of a two part, $27 million project at 8th and Thompson Streets. The first phase is 30 units of LGBTQ-friendly housing for homeless and at-risk young adults. We will continue our work with the broader community because none of us are home until all of us are home.”Project HOME plans to break ground in the spring of 2017. Construction is expected to be complete by the spring of 2018.Like Governor Tom Wolf on Facebook: Facebook.com/GovernorWolf October 21, 2016
The Dodgers might re-sign Kenley Jansen and Justin Turner.But the odds are against it.They might trade for Chris Sale or Justin Verlander.But they probably won’t. Dodgers president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman and his staff will no doubt be involved in conversations involving those players and many others. As much as any team in baseball, the Dodgers have both the financial resources and prospect stash to make things happen. Friedman’s philosophy is to stay “nimble” and “opportunistic” when it comes to talent acquisition and the Dodgers’ well-stocked farm system gives them ample chips to be at the forefront of any auction.But the Dodgers’ focus this winter seems less about making significant additions to the roster and more about maintaining what they have already built — an uncommonly deep roster with flexibility and a more manageable payroll.“Yeah, that’s a really, really good team,” Friedman said of a 2017 roster with the same elements intact that produced 91 wins in 2016 and fell two games short of reaching the World Series.That group would return with the prospects of improved health, Friedman points out – how could it not be better than last year’s? — and added maturity for the young players who made such critical contributions.But there is a strain of wistfulness in Friedman’s comments. He is aware just how unlikely it is that the Dodgers will be able to put last year’s band back together.Jansen, Turner and Rich Hill are all free agents this winter. The Dodgers would like to re-sign all three and team officials insist their ability to do so will not be restrained by debt service or luxury-tax penalties – only by the same kind of good sense that stopped their bidding for Zack Greinke at $160 million last winter.That was only good for third place behind the San Francisco Giants and Greinke’s new employer, the Arizona Diamondbacks, who have spent much of the past year regretting that $206 million decision.The Dodgers are closing in on re-signing Hill to a multi-year deal that would lock him in as Greinke’s replacement behind Clayton Kershaw in the rotation. When it comes to Jansen and Turner, however, market forces are working against the Dodgers this winter as well.Jansen is in a two-horse race with Chapman to set new pay standards for a closer. The target is set at five years and $100 million – the kind of early-winter pie in the sky that only seems absurd until someone offers it. Of the very limited number of top hitters available on the free-agent market, only Turner offers premium defense as well.So far, the Dodgers have elected to slow-play their pursuit of Jansen and Turner. That might need to change soon. The need to gauge the chances of re-signing either – and the search for alternatives – could gain some urgency in the next week as the Winter Meetings intensify conversations.“I think the right to be a free agent is a significant one that players earn,” Friedman said. “We’re trying to be as respectful as we can. But obviously, we have to make sure that we’re in good position as well. So at some point I expect conversations to progress – and I don’t even mean just with our internal guys, with external free agents and on the trade front. I think it’s been a little quieter this month as opposed to past years with the CBA negotiations and the unknowns surrounding it. But I expect things to pick up quite a bit in the next few weeks.”Chapman and, more affordably, Melancon (as well as potential trade target David Robertson of the White Sox) offer alternatives if Jansen leaves the Dodgers for bigger money elsewhere. At this point, it’s hard to imagine realistic options for replacing Turner that don’t take the Dodgers backwards.“Short term or long term?” Friedman responded to that. “Look – I think there are a lot of interesting players on the market. Some on the free agent market, some on the trade market. And we’re continuing to have conversations to see what makes the most sense for us.”Dodgers’ to-do list• Re-sign Kenley Jansen and Justin Turner – or not.The Dodgers would like to re-sign both but the market for each (and good sense) might make that unrealistic, particularly in light of the new CBA’s increased luxury-tax penalties for high-payroll teams.• Find alternatives.If Jansen and/or Turner won’t be back in 2017, the Dodgers need to find someone to close games and/or play third base for them in 2017. Finding replacements won’t be easy. The closer options drop off dramatically after free agents Aroldis Chapman and Mark Melancon. The options at third base are even less attractive.• Settle on a second basemanRe-signing an aging Chase Utley and pairing him with a younger right-handed bat (Kiké Hernandez, Charlie Culberson) is one option. But acquiring someone like Ian Kinsler, Brian Dozier or Josh Harrison would better address the Dodgers’ deficiencies against left-handed pitching.• Trade Yasiel Puig.The Dodgers might finally be ready to part ways with their problem child – even though his value has never been lower.• Restock the bullpenJoe Blanton emerged as the Dodgers’ most reliable setup man last season. But the 35-year-old is a free agent. Regardless of who closes games for them in 2017, the Dodgers will look to restock the relief corps in front of him. They might sign Aroldis Chapman and trade for Andrew McCutchen.But probably not.Maybe they’ll sign Mark Melancon and trade for Brian Dozier.Or maybe not.As the Dodgers head to baseball’s annual Winter Meetings in National Harbor, Maryland — “a census-designated place and development along the Potomac River” outside Washington, D.C. — they will, as usual, be featured prominently in the haze of rumor and speculation that will settle over the sprawling Gaylord Resort playing host to Major League Baseball’s movers and shakers. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error
Edin Džeko’s form this season can’t exactly be shunned as being below par, especially when you consider he plays for a team with that many super-stars, squad rotation is an inevitability, that has to be dealt with, writes givemefootball.comHowever, whilst the Bosnian can almost guarantee himself a spot in the international side no matter where he travels to, his impressive form doesn’t seem to make him a staple to City’s strike force.Recording 12 goals in 24 league appearances this campaign might not seem like such a feat when you look at Leagues current top goal scorers, however what does make it more impressive is when you look at his time spent on the pitch.There have been a number of games where Džeko has come on a substitute, and thanks to his calm, cool composure and precise finishing – as well as confidence in his own ability, has seen him slot the ball in the back of the net numerous times sheer minutes after gracing the pitch with his presence.His ability to provide pure class when invoked from the bench is over shadowed by his unfortunate habit of turning less admirable performances in when given starts, something you wouldn’t expect from a £27 million signing from Wolfsburg – a price tag that at the time looked to be more of a bargain than a rip off.Whilst his 13 goals in 30 appearances in all competitions might look on par with Argentinean duo Aguero and Tevez, who have 11 goals in 28 matches and 15 goals in 33 matches respectively, how can Mancini justify leaving out one of his top goal scorers this?A tactical edge could be one reason he is succumbed to be bench week in week out, with his large frame and decent ball control allowing a switch in tactical gameplay when he walks out onto the pitch – shifting from a quick passing game to a long ball game, Džeko the key component in this.Mancini did mention he is an “important player”, however he didn’t exactly play down the possibility of a summer exit for the Bosnian.If Mancini wants to start a plan for Premier League and Champions League glory, he is going to need players like Džeko in his squad – players who can find the net when it needs to be found.
By Vahnu ManickchandQueen’s College dominated the top spots at the 2016 Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examination (CAPE), with a second year student securing the top spot.Deenauth Mohabeer, Queen’s College – 6 Ones, 1 TwoCarissa Kissoon, Bishops’ High – 6 OnesAshley Anthony, Queen’s College – 6 OnesJoash Gobin, Queen’s College – 6 OnesThis year’s results were revealed on Wednesday at the National Centre for Educational Resource Development (NCERD) Building in Kingston, Georgetown.According to the results analysis, the overall pass rate in the 2016 CAPE was 86.74 per cent which is a marginal decrease from the 87.54 per cent recorded last year. However, there was an increase in the number of candidates securing Grade One and Two passes.A total of 898 candidates sat the CAPE examinations this year, writing a total of 57 units in 29 subject areas. The gender distribution of the overall pass rate is 33.4 per cent males and 66.6 per cent females.Of the total number of candidates; 478 of them secured Grade Ones, 746 Grade Twos, 860 Grade Threes, 689 Grade Fours, and 535 obtained Grade Fives.Larissa Wiltshire, Queen’s College – 6 OnesShannon Woodroffe, Queen’s College – 6 OnesIt was noted that the candidates obtained a 100 per cent pass rate in only 20 of the units, while the pass rate of candidates was 75 per cent or higher in 30 units.Among the top performers at this year’s CAPE exams were five Queen’s College students and one from the Bishops’ High School. With the exception of one, they secured Grade Ones in six units.The exception being Deenauth Mohabeer, a second year student of QC, who wrote seven subjects, obtaining six Grade Ones and one Grade Two.Speaking with Guyana Times, the ecstatic young man expressed that he felt accomplished, elaborating that this feeling was due to how hard he worked to prepare for his examinations and the discipline he showed.The aspiring computer engineer praised the foundation he received from his five years at Central High School, noting that this allowed him to excel. “My accomplishment for this year is only half done,” he remarked, while adding that he is hoping to secure a scholarship to pursue artificial intelligence studies.Meanwhile, first year QC topper Ashley Anthony was elated with her results, crediting her teachers, family and friends for supporting her. She explained that CAPE was much more intense and demanding than the CSEC examinations; as such, excelling required a lot of effort.Her advice to students now preparing to write the CAPE exams is to prepare well. “There is no one right way to study and it is important for you to figure out what works for you,” said the young woman who will be returning to QC for CAPE second year, after which she will continue to university to “possibly” study biophysics.Joash Gobin, also a QC first year student, could not be reached for an interview; however, in a post on his social media – facebook – account he thanked the Almighty, his parents and friends, as well as teachers, whom he said were his support pillars. He noted that in preparing for the exams, he experienced some of his “longest days” yet.In addition, his fellow schoolmate, Larissa Wiltshire, another second year CAPE student at QC, expressed how happy she was to receive her results. She said she owes her success to studying and her unwavering focus.“To future students, I advise that they do subjects that they love so that it is not a burden and that they remain focused but still keep their composure and try to have some fun some times,” said the young woman who will be heading to the University of the West Indies (Mona Campus) to study dentistry come September.Another QC topper Shannon Woodroffe described her CAPE journey as “an onerous but rewarding one.” She noted that her results did come as a surprise to her as she was expecting all grade ones.“I would like to express my profoundest gratitude to God, my parents, my elder sister and my teachers who allowed me to reach this success,” related Woodroffe who will be continuing her studies at QC to attain an Associate’s Degree in Natural Sciences as she pursues a career in the STEM (Science, Technology, Mathematics and Engineering) fields.A very proud ‘Bishopian’, Carissa Kissoon, related that she was initially “astounded” by the fruits of her labour, noting that she “couldn’t predict” it. She credited her success to her family, teachers and friends, who supported her.The aspiring Cardio-Thoracic surgeon said she has always been inspired by this Mark Twain quote, “Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority it is time to pause and reflect.” She went on to say that she would advise future cape students to strive for greatness and stressed the importance of belief in one’s self.