Scottish Bakers has appointed Ian McGhee of McGhee’s Bakery as vice president elect at its Annual General Meeting (AGM) on 20 May.The appointment came at the association’s first virtual AGM on 20 May. He will be joined by incoming president Linda Hill from Murrays Bakers of Perth.McGhee will shape the future direction of the organisation at this crucial time, said the organisation.Outgoing president Ronnie Miles, of Bells Food Group, said: “I will continue to serve as president until we can give Linda the inauguration she deserves in front of her peers in the industry. However, she will be taking a more active role in some of the presidential duties. Linda has been a great support to me and knowing that Ian McGhee, in turn, will be supporting Linda when the time comes is encouraging for the future of the association.”McGhee has served on the board of Scottish Bakers for 12 years. He studied food technology at the Glasgow College of Food Technology, before joining family firm McGhee’s in 1986, where he became production director in 1990.He will follow in the footsteps of his father and brother in becoming president of Scottish Bakers.“We are delighted Ian has agreed to take on the role of vice president elect,” added Scottish Bakers chief executive Alasdair Smith.“As we, as a sector, look to our post-Covid-19 future, we will need a strong and strategic team to help direct us and, with Linda and Ian supporting the work of all at Bakers’ House, I am confident we can rise to the challenges ahead.”
MEXICO CITY (AP) — The U.S. Chamber of Commerce says Mexico’s attempts to limit private electricity generation would violate the U.S.-Mexico Canada trade agreement, known as the USMCA. The business group urged Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador to withdraw a bill that would give priority in electricity purchases to older, more polluting, state-owned power plants. The Chamber’s Senior Vice President of the Americas said in a statement Friday that the bill could re-instate a government monopoly. Neil Herrington wrote “these changes would significantly raise the cost of electricity and limit access to clean energy for Mexico’s citizens.” Mexico has vowed to forge ahead with the law.
Residents of Paniaran village in North Tapanuli, North Sumatra, found a 3-month old baby boy who had been left next to a house in the village on Thursday along with a letter from his mother, who claimed to be a victim of rape.A Paniaran resident, Marsaulina Nababan, 52, discovered the baby as she was throwing out her garbage on Thursday evening, as reported by kompas.com. The baby was crying and wrapped neatly in a cloth. Marsaulina reported her finding to the police.North Tapanuli Police spokesperson First Adj. Insp. Walpon Baringbing said on Friday the police had found a letter at the location the baby was found, reportedly written by the baby’s mother, who said she was a victim of rape. Read also: Rape survivors often have to bear it aloneConcluding from the letter, Walpon said the mother could not afford to take care of the baby due to financial constraints. The letter was written as follows:”To the people who discover this baby, I’m asking for your help to take care of my baby. I can’t look after him because I live alone. I’m a rape victim of an evil man who doesn’t want to take responsibility for his actions. I didn’t even know him.I can’t afford to take care of the baby because I don’t have a job. Other than begging for money, I don’t have a place to live.I wanted to put him into an orphanage, but they didn’t accept him because I didn’t have recorded personal data. I don’t have an ID card, nor a family card. Once again, please help look after my child because I truly can’t afford to do it. I love my baby, and I don’t want him to suffer by living with me.He is sick, look at his head. He was born on Dec. 12, 2019. His name is Malidan Azka and he is a Muslim.”Walpon said the baby was in a healthy condition and was currently being treated at the Paniaran health center. “We’ve coordinated with the North Tapanuli Social Agency regarding the baby’s future care,” he said, as quoted by kompas.com. (ars)Topics :
The Alim Shah Stores have been re-added to the list of entities for the school uniform voucher programme just in time as the distribution for the new school terms begins.According to a business representative, the stores’ Regent Street, Georgetown; and Rose Hall, Berbice branches have received official notification from the Education Ministry that it “is pleased to be partnering” with the business in this year’s School Uniform Voucher programme.Alim Shah store on Regent StreetThe letter was signed by Ms Patricia Stephen, Assistant Secretary to the Education Ministry.Alim Shah Stores started to accept school uniform vouchers since last week after being assured by the Ministry’s chief accountant that the business continues to be on the official database despite the advertisements which have appeared in the press in which the business is not listed as being on this year’s programme.The proprietor, Alim Shah, was concerned at the omission and felt that it was reprisal from the Government for the columns that his daughter, Ryhaan Shah, writes for Guyana Times.In an invited comment to this publication, he expressed relief to have received the official notification since both stores had already ordered and started preparing their stock of school pants, shirts, underwear, haversacks, and other items for their back-to-school business.He said that the business has built up a good working relationship with the Education Ministry over the years and he expects that the good relations will continue under the new Administration.Interestingly, when Shah initially raised concerns of being dropped from the programme, the Education Ministry immediately released a statement positing that the business was at fault.The statement explained that the Ministry noted that it publicly advertised for ‘Expressions of Interest’ to participate in the Uniform Voucher programme in 2016 and that the business under the name Alim Shah never indicated any interest in participating in the programme, hence their name would not have been on the published 2016 list.“They subsequently communicated with the Ministry, indicating that they erroneously assumed that since they were on the list in previous years they would have automatically been included,” the statement noted.According to the Ministry, the matter has since been resolved with the entity.Distribution of vouchersMeanwhile, the Ministry is ready to distribute approximately 150,000 uniform vouchers to parents and guardians of children attending public schools in Regions Two (Pomeroon-Supenaam), Three (Essequibo Islands-West Demerara), Four (Demerara-Mahaica), Five (Mahaica-Berbice), Six (East Berbice-Corentyne), 10 (Upper Demerara), Bartica, in Region Seven (Cuyuni-Mazaruni) and Georgetown, in Region Four.Each voucher is valued $2000 – an increase from $1500 in previous years, and is valid until October 31, 2016.Parents are reminded that vouchers are intended to be used for the purchase of school items only and that all vouchers can be redeemed at participating businesses/suppliers, a list of which has been published in the press and is available at the respective schools and regional departments of education.A valid form of identification is required to uplift the voucher.Every child attending a Government school is entitled to uniform assistance under the National Uniform Programme. On the coastland, the Education Ministry administers the Uniform Voucher Programme while in Hinterland communities, the assistance is administered by the Indigenous Peoples’ Affairs Ministry.Public schools will be closed for a period of eight weeks from July 11 to September 2, 2016.