Cherwell can reveal that nearly one in six Oxbridge applicants register for the services of Oxbridge Applications, an independent profit driven company which sells university admission advice.On average, between 5,000 and 6,000 students contact Oxbridge Applications each year, while the overall number applying to Oxbridge is around 34,000 and growing each year.Founded in 1999, Oxbridge Applications is fast growing. The profits of the parent company, Application Research Limited, have increased by over 150% in the last year, from £67, 115 in 2010 to £110, 552 in 2011.The company offer Admissions Tests Seminars for £185, Private Consultations for £240, Interview Preparation Days from £220, and an Interview & Admissions Test Weekend for £1500.Oxbridge Applications claim that an average of 53% of those accepted for the Premier Service, which costs up to several thousand pounds, gain offers to Oxford or Cambridge, compared with an average of just 21% for Oxbridge applicants overall.Oxford University was quick to distance itself from the company. A University spokesperson said, “We do not endorse any commercial operations or publications offering advice or training on our admissions process.”Academic staff were also sceptical. Dr Peter Bull, Tutor for Admissions at Hertford, said, “Colleges will be happy to give advice free of charge. Why be charged by a consultant when you can ask the person who selects the candidates, at no cost?”Rachel Spedding, Executive Director of Oxbridge Applications and a former student at Worcester College, told Cherwell that the company work with current and former students.Dr Lucinda Rumsey, Admissions Tutor at Mansfield, said, “Students are not necessarily clearly informed about what tutors are looking for in the interview and other parts of the process. I am really disappointed that students get involved in this.”Alex Bulfin, OUSU VP for Access and Academic Affairs, said, “This sends a message to prospective students that there is a ‘secret’ to winning a place here and that if you haven’t been coached in ‘the right way’ then you won’t stand a chance.”However, not all students were as damning of the company. Thomas O’Brien, a first-year PPE student who attended an Oxbridge Applications preparation day said, “It would probably have been useful to people who, unlike me, didn’t get much help from their schools.”A third year History student who used the company’s Access Scheme said, “My school did not have a history of sending people to Oxbridge, so it was really good to meet people who’d been through the admissions process and could tell me what it was like.”Spedding highlighted the access schemes which the company runs. She said, “We are not helping people get in ‘through the back door’. It’s people’s choice if they want to use our services.”The University urged that, “The best advice is to work hard, and make full use of the many free and authoritative sources of guidance and information the University itself provides.”
Better Collective cautious on quick recovery as COVID drags growth momentum August 25, 2020 Share GVC hires ‘comms pro’ Tessa Curtis to re-energise media profile August 25, 2020 StumbleUpon Marc Etches to step down as CEO of GambleAware in 2021 August 14, 2020 Related Articles Submit Share Martin Lycka – GVC HoldingsGVC Holdings Director of Regulatory Affairs Martin Lycka explains how 2020 events have handed the industry a crisis agenda that incumbents must accept and match with responsibility and good faith… The stakes have never been placed this high on operator conduct.______________________Sunday morning – end of winter. With the NHL and the NBA regular seasons entering their final quarter, there are plenty of nerve-wracking battles for playoff spots ahead. In Europe this means waking up, checking the overnight scores on your phone?Then down to the lounge and flick the TV on – the schedule is Winter Sports World Cups, an abundance of football to watch all across Europe now the Six Nations has been completed, and a host of other sporting spectacles on the horizon. Baseball, cricket, horseracing, Augusta International, March Madness, IPL, Rolland Garros into Wimbledon, NFL, NHL and NBA drafts. Weekends full of sport and the opportunity to do it all again next weekend.I guess this would have been the diary of the most sports fan at the time of the onset of coronavirus in Europe and the US. Yet, the sports have come a grinding halt; at first, games were played in front of empty stands, and then stopped completely. Leagues, races and tours are being suspended or even cancelled; new creative formats for drafts invented. There is absolutely no doubt that public health and protection of the vulnerable must come first and that the suspensions and cancellations have been the right course of action to take. There being no sport is an unprecedented situation for the modern-day gambling industry. The response to this situation requires responsibility and resilience. This is no time to relax or loosen consumer protection standards, in particular, those that apply to safer gambling and prevention of gambling addiction; on the contrary, further action is required to afford due protection to the people who hunkered down in their house and maybe suffering from boredom. First thing’s first, communication; it is advisable to remind all customers in a proactive manner to gamble responsibly and use the safer gambling tools the operators have introduced that allow them to set reasonable boundaries to their gambling behaviour. Even more prominent responsible gambling messages on operators’ sites which are echoed by responsible gambling-led media campaigns and have the ability to relay the above precepts through additional channels. This helps ensure the customer can continue to enjoy gambling as a form of entertainment without overstepping the mark. It goes without saying that all attempts at taking advantage of the pandemic or the resulting isolation for gambling or gambling marketing purposes need to be prevented and condemned. In other words, gambling companies are called upon to step up to the plate and provide for their customers and their safety. GVC, my company, has just like on many occasions in the recent past, heeded the call and will have introduced two new safer gambling algorithms, the so-called Markers of Harm, designed to monitor and review player behaviour pre and post home isolation during the crisis as well as additional safer gambling tools in a bid to help prevent the inception of gambling addiction at an early stage. At the same time, with casinos and betting shops closed (all for a good reason), the battle for the survival of the gambling sector rages on. Do virtual sports and esports have the ability to plug the glaring gaps left in the hearts and minds of sports fans craving to see the next goal, pitch, pass or hoop as opposed to re-runs of games from the glory days gone by? Could expediting online gaming legislation, for example along the lines iDEA Growth has lately propounded in the US and others have done elsewhere, help offset the gargantuan economic losses the industry, or at least some parts of it, maybe facing in a foreseeable future? Answering these two and many other questions lies at the heart of the industry’s efforts to show resilience in these testing times. At the risk of being labelled old-fashioned, I struggle to believe that virtual sports could be an adequate replacement for the passion of live sports; yet ramping them up within the bounds of reason can help steer customers into the controlled channels of regulated markets. In some jurisdictions expediting online gaming legislation, as long it is done with a very close eye on the highest applicable safer and sustainable gambling standards, might have the same effect; it might even go beyond and help those veteran brick-and-mortar casino customers discover new information about their gambling behaviour. Health and safety come first and gambling comes nowhere near second. Yet, there is a lot to do within our industry before the Bayerns, Bruins and Buccaneers are back on our screens. ________________Martin Lycka – Director of Regulatory Affairs – GVC Holdings
Rosenthal, 62, famed for his marijuana cultivation books and the “Ask Ed” column he wrote for High Times magazine, will host the event at his Piedmont home on March 4. – Associated Press 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! “I want you to make sure you don’t make her sound like the bad guy in this,” Griffin told Reno Gazette-Journal columnist Siobhan McAndrew. “She’s just kind of moving on with her life, and I’ve been gone at basic training and in San Diego for a year.” – Associated Press Chong helps ‘Guru of Ganja’ Comedian Tommy Chong will help raise money to defend the self-proclaimed “Guru of Ganja,” who is charged with growing hundreds of marijuana plants for a dispensary. Chong, who starred with Cheech Marin in stoner movie classics “Up in Smoke” and “Nice Dreams,” will appear at a $125-per-person event for Ed Rosenthal. Kyle Griffin shipped out with his Marine unit for Iraq on Sunday, a week after he was jilted by the woman he wanted to marry. Griffin, 19, returned home to Reno, Nev., from his military base in San Diego to propose to his girlfriend on Feb. 17. He arranged to put up a billboard with his proposal in neighboring Sparks. On a bright pink billboard was her name and the question: “Will you marry me?” But after he bought a non-returnable engagement ring and got down on one knee in front of the billboard, his girlfriend said, “No.”
Real hold a 3-1 lead from the first leg and PSG’s chances of reaching the quarter-finals will be greatly reduced without their star forward.Zidane, however, said on Monday: “I’m not happy with the Neymar injury and I hope he can be back for the game. I will never want a rival player to be out injured.”The European champions have two La Liga fixtures to negotiate before their crunch meeting with PSG, starting with a trip to Espanyol on Tuesday. They then host Getafe on Saturday.One player hoping to cement his starting spot against PSG will be Gareth Bale, who scored and played 90 minutes in Saturday’s 4-0 thumping of Alaves.“That is what we want, we want to see a 100 percent Gareth,” Zidane said.“The other day he had a great game and scored a goal. The most important thing was his participation in the game and he did very well.”Marcelo and Luka Modric are both out with thigh injuries while Toni Kroos is nursing a knee problem.Zidane declared himself “optimistic”, however, that the trio will recover in time to face PSG but added that an evaluation will be made on Wednesday.0Shares0000(Visited 3 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Neymar on the ground next to Zinedine Zidane during the Champions League last 16, first leg between Real Madrid and Paris Saint-Germain © AFP / GABRIEL BOUYSMADRID, Spain, Feb 26 – Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane has said he takes no satisfaction from the injury that threatens to rule Neymar out of next week’s Champions League last 16, second leg between the Spanish club and Paris Saint-Germain.Neymar hurt his ankle and had to be carried off on a stretcher during PSG’s 3-0 win over Marseille on Sunday. He now faces a fight to be ready for the last 16 clash at Parc des Princes in eight days’ time.