The 2020 pandemic has challenged press freedom in Africa Reports ZimbabweAfrica Follow the news on Zimbabwe ZimbabweAfrica News to go further Reporters Without Borders protested today against the Zimbabwean government’s refusal to renew the work permit of Agence France-Presse (AFP) journalist Griffin Shea and accused the information ministry of being hostile to the media.”Once again, your office has shown it is not working for the press and its journalists, but against them,” said Reporters Without Borders secretary-general Robert Ménard in a letter to information minister Jonathan Moyo. He added that Moyo had “continually attacked journalists since he took office and considered that only reporters in the state-owned media did their job properly.”Ménard called on the minister to renew the Shea’s work permit and that of any other journalist who requested a renewal. He noted that Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe had been put of Reporters Without Borders’ worldwide list of predators of press freedom.The AFP bureau in Harare announced today that the application of Shea, an American, had been rejected. His work permit expires on 14 September, after which he will no longer be able to work in the country. AFP added that the work permit of its Harare bureau chief was also coming up for renewal, at the end of November.The Zimbabwean authorities have waged a wholesale campaign of harassment of local and foreign journalists for more than two years now. About 50 journalists have been arrested since January last year and three foreign correspondents forced to leave the country.Two repressive new laws were passed earlier this year, including a new press law that makes working conditions very difficult for foreign journalists. Work permits are now harder to get and are issued for only very short periods. News News Zimbabwean journalist Hopewell Chin’ono denied bail Organisation Zimbabwean court must free imprisoned journalist who is unwell November 27, 2020 Find out more Help by sharing this information RSF_en November 12, 2020 Find out more Receive email alerts September 6, 2002 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Government refuses to renew journalist’s work permit September 1, 2020 Find out more
DONGSEON_KIM/iStock(LOS ANGELES) — Teachers in the nation’s second-largest school district have announced they’re going on strike Monday.United Teachers Los Angeles said negotiations have stalled and that the union didn’t receive a new contract proposal over the weekend. This comes after the strike was delayed from Jan. 10 because of a potential court intervention.“We’re in the battle for the soul of public education,” said UTLA President Alex Caputo-Pearl. “Now is the moment for action.”Schools will remain open during the strike, according to the Los Angeles Unified School District.“Elementary, middle and high schools will be open, instruction will continue, and meals will be served tomorrow and throughout the UTLA strike,” the LAUSD said in a statement Sunday. “Early education centers will only be open to special-needs students and state preschool sites will be closed.”The striking educators said they want to remedy classes that often have 40-plus students, a lack of counselors and nurses to support students, closed libraries and crumbling classrooms.Union members told ABC News they’ll strike “for as long as it takes.”Hiring subs is seen as “irresponsible” by the union, which asked parents to keep students home or join in the protest.The latest offer from the district, according to the LAUSD, includes adding nearly 1,200 teachers, counselors, nurses and librarians, as well as capping class sizes at 32 to 39 students, depending on the course.The district also offered a 6 percent raise over the first two years of a three-year contract. The teachers have asked for 6.5 percent, retroactive to the 2017 fiscal year, and said that the district’s insistence on some proposals’ expiring after a year is disrespectful.“We have not had an honest bargaining partner,” Arlene Inouye, UTLA’s secretary, told ABC News.Victoria Costas, a mother and teacher, said there are 46 students in her daughter’s math class.“Classes are far too large to ever get individualized attention,” she said. “Tomorrow I will be out there fighting with my daughter.”Another teacher, Erika Jones, said that 85 percent of the district’s schools don’t have a full-time nurse.A tweet from the district’s account said a work stoppage would “harm the students, families and communities we serve.”A strike will harm the students, families and communities we serve, and we have a responsibility to resolve the situation without a strike.— L.A. Unified (@LASchools) January 12, 2019Inouye, the union secretary, said in order to reach any kind of common ground with district leadership, “we need a place to start from.”Union supporters said they expect most of its approximately 35,000 members to join in the strike.“This is a fight worth the sacrifice,” Inouye said. Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Also, Direct Booker grants a 19% discount on all active online accommodation prices for all travelers until the end of 2020, as an additional motive for coming to the Adriatic. “Dvije su akcije, jedna je nagradna igra u kojoj darujemo besplatni smještaj u 19 destinacija kod naših partnera, a druga je popust od 19% za sve rezervacije do kraja godine koje idu preko naše platforme Direct Booker” pointed out Nino Dubretić, co-owner and director of Direct Booker, and added that after this crisis, positive shifts in the market can finally be seen, ie increased interest in Croatia. Inače, ove godine Rentals United uvrstio je Direct Booker među TOP 10 najvećih agencija za privatni smještaj u svijetu i TOP 4 u Europi. Direct Booker za sada ima 22 franšize u 8 država koje uključuju Crnu Goru, BiH, Sloveniju, Srbiju, Albaniju, Poljsku i Peru. Naime, putem društvenih mreža pokrenuli su kampanju u kojoj Direct Booker poklanja beplatni odmor ( 3 noćenja za 2 osobe ) u privatnom smještaju u 19 destinacija u Hrvatskoj i 19 smještajnih jedinica. “The total number of bookings exceeded the number of cancellations, which is great news because it means that the market has awakened and that interest in Croatia is growing. As for prices, many renters have lowered prices, but it is a matter of market, ie supply and demand. Otherwise, we adjust the prices on a daily basis through the revenue manager, again in accordance with the interest and the market.” ističe Dubretić. Direct Booker, vodeća agencija za najam privatnog smještaja u regiji, sukladno cijeli izvanrednoj situaciji, pogotovo u turizmu, pokrenula je kampanju s ciljem promocije i aktivacije domaćeg turizma.
TE SubCom, a TE Connectivity company, has secured a contract from connectivity and data center solutions provider, MainOne, to extend its active submarine cable system into West Africa’s francophone region with two additional branches connecting Senegal (Dakar) and Cote D’Ivoire (Abidjan). These new branches will connect to MainOne’s 7,000km cable system, which extends from Portugal to Nigeria, and will inject new technology that upgrades the system to a potential capacity of 10TBps by November 2019 when the subsea system becomes operational.With this development, MainOne will have landing points in five markets – Nigeria, Ghana, Senegal, Cote D’Ivoire and Portugal, in addition to Cameroon. A cluster of francophone countries in West Africa that are experiencing an increased demand for advanced telecom services including Burkina Faso, Mali, and Mauritania will also benefit from these extensions into Cote D’Ivoire and Senegal.“MainOne continues to lead the current digital transformation of the region by ushering in affordable connectivity to drive economic development. Our objective remains focused on bridging the digital divide between West Africa and the rest of the world. We have, and will continue to, invest significantly in projects to accelerate broadband access to help local businesses address the challenges they face procuring capacity at competitive rates. This extension of our subsea cable to Senegal and Cote D’Ivoire will further open up their international bandwidth markets, drive down costs and ultimately boost the economic and commercial development of the region,” said Kazeem Oladepo, MainOne’s regional executive for West Africa.“These MainOne enhancements bring two additional connectivity options to this rapidly growing region,” said Debbie Brask, vice president, project management of TE SubCom. “MainOne has also selected SubCom’s industry leading WSS ROADM technology to achieve dynamic capacity management in fulfilling the region’s burgeoning demand.”The new branches will be equipped with TE SubCom’s WSS ROADM technology that allows MainOne and its partners to match the capacity in each branch to the market need, thus optimizing cable utilization. SubCom will light the new branches with Ciena’s transmission equipment, which enables this flexibility and higher capacity. It is also an industry first for the deployment of undersea spectrum-sharing in Africa.The MainOne Submarine Cable System links West Africa with Europe, bringing ultra-fast broadband in the region. It runs from Seixal in Portugal to Lagos in Nigeria. The system first went live in July 2010, becoming the first privately-owned subsea cable to bring open-access broadband capacity in West Africa.
Simon Zebo and Paul O’Connell crossed in the closing minutes to wrap up a runaway six-try, 47-23 victory as the Irish province advanced to their 11th semi-final in 15 years. The French giants were swept away by the relentless red tide early on, Keith Earls’ fifth-minute try helping Munster establish a 13-3 advantage. There were only four points between the sides at the break, though, after Luke McAlister kicked two more penalties. But CJ Stander, who stepped in for injured captain Peter O’Mahony, produced a dominant man-of-the-match display to power Munster through a sticky patch. Although second-half tries from Hosea Gear and Joe Tekori reduced the arrears to 27-16, Rob Penney’s men made certain of their progress as Zebo and O’Connell followed Dave Kilcoyne and Stander over the try-line. Former All Black McAlister received a late call-up to the Toulouse starting line-up after shaking off a back complaint. O’Mahony managed to steal an early line-out, setting the tone for a real fire and brimstone start. A barrage of phases – 20 in all – saw Munster tear into the Toulouse 22 and, armed with a penalty advantage, Zebo’s looping pass sent fellow winger Earls over in the right corner. Ian Keatley’s successful conversion was cancelled out by an immediate McAlister penalty, with the monster French pack managing to catch their breath. They were back behind their posts when Keatley made it 10-3 after a maul infringement. O’Mahony’s enforced withdrawal brought Stander into the fray and, from another muscular maul, Tekori denied the sniping Conor Murray. Press Association Munster won the battle of the Heineken Cup heavyweights as they floored four-time champions Toulouse at a raucous Thomond Park. But the resulting scrum saw Yohan Montes cough up Toulouse’s sixth penalty of the afternoon, allowing Keatley to widen the gap to 10 points. McAlister kicked a long-range penalty on the half-hour and, as Munster’s error count increased, he nailed his third successful kick. Defences were on top approaching half-time, with Felix Jones’ textbook tackle forcing a handling error from his opposite number Maxime Medard, while Toulouse thwarted a late Munster maul effort. The province’s mastery of the rolling maul paid off just 90 seconds into the second half, though, their forwards storming through and Murray’s snipe providing the platform for prop Kilcoyne to plunge over. They added a second close-range try soon after as Stander burrowed over for his first tournament score – a nice birthday present for the 24-year-old South African. Keatley converted both to open up a 27-9 lead and referee Nigel Owens lost patience with the scrummaging of the front rows, sin-binning both Kilcoyne and Montes. Keatley’s first missed penalty was followed by the best try of the afternoon, New Zealander Gear galloping away from Keatley and Laulala after a fantastic feed by replacement prop Cyril Baille. Lionel Beauxis, whose introduction sparked a breathless period of trademark French finesse, converted and suddenly Munster looked shaky. No French team has ever won at Munster’s Limerick citadel. Indeed, the province had only lost two of their previous 50 cup outings at the venue, and they reasserted themselves in the final quarter. Keatley took his tally to 15 points and Beauxis’ blunder from a quickly-taken restart allowed Munster to spin the ball wide for Laulala to score. Flanker Tekori bulldozed over for what was ultimately a consolation effort, before a superb Stander turnover led to Zebo touching down with five minutes left and O’Connell crashed over for his first Heineken Cup try since 2009.
Michael Essien is targeting a return to Chelsea’s first team after his loan to Real Madrid ends at the end of the season.The Ghanaian midfielder was sent out on loan following his recovery from a serious knee injury in 2011/12.After re-find his form at Madrid, Essien is keen to perform once again at Stamford Bridge and is convinced that his time at Real has shown that he can perform at the highest level.“I will return to Chelsea with my head up and try to win my place back,” said Essien.“I think my loan at Madrid has shown I have still got it at the top level.”
Those fans who tossed the B.C. Lions onto the scrap pile back in July are going get a huge surprise waking up Monday morning after reading the morning website.Because surprise, surprise, the B.C. Lions are 2011 Grey Cup Champions.The Canadian Football League’s Most Outstanding Player, Travis Lulay, tossed consecutive second half touchdown passes to Kierrie Johnson and Arland Bruce sparking the Lions to a 34-23 victory over the Winnipeg Blue Bombers Sunday at B.C. Place in Vancouver.“It’s a championship game. You’ve got to keep the faith and this feels pretty sweet,” Lulay told TSN following the game after struggling before getting the job done.Lulay completed 21 of his 37 passes for 320 yards and two scores.The Lions, winning the sixth championship in franchise history, are the first team in CFL history to start the season with five straight losses and win the Grey Cup.“I told the guys to stay focused,” said Geroy Simon when asked about the 0-5 start.B.C. led 10-0 a field goal by Paul McCallum and touchdown by Andrew Harris.A single point along with a field goal by McCallum increased the lead to 14-0 before Winnipeg kicked two fields goals to make the score 14-6 at the half.The teams exchanged field goals before Lulay & Company went to work as the B.C. quarterback connected with Kierrie Johnson on a 66-yard TD pass.In the fourth quarter after Odell Willis muffed on a potential game-changing interception, the Lions engineered a nine-play 82-yard drive that ended in a six-yard TD pass to Arland Bruce.Winnipeg scored two late touchdowns before McCallum put the game away with a 34-yard field goal. Lulay revealed after the game he was playing with a bad groin injury suffered during the first quarter. The injury slowed Lulay’s ability to run during the game.The Lions win tied head coach Wally Buono with Don Matthews and Hugh Campbell with the most Grey Cup wins at five.B.C. running back Andrew Harris was named the Most Outstanding Canadian in the Grey Cup.There are four teams in CFL history to win a Grey Cup at home. The Lions have done it twice, also capturing the title in 1994.