H1N1 FLU BREAKING NEWS: Vaccine news, flu slows a bit on campus, lawsuit over mandatory vaccine, Cuban deaths

first_imgOct 12, 2009WHO sees November vaccine delivery to poor nationsAn official from the World Health Organization said today that the group hopes to start shipping 60 million H1N1 vaccine doses to poor countries in November, the Associated Press (AP) reported. Marie-Paule Kieny said the first doses of the donated vaccine from drug companies and other countries will go to doctors and nurses and maybe high-risk patients in about 100 nations. She added that more donations are needed.Flu illnesses drop slightly at US collegesThe number of flu-like illnesses at the nation’s colleges decreased 6% from last week’s report, the American College Health Association (ACHA) said in its surveillance for the week ending Oct 2. The report listed 6,326 new influenza-like illness cases at 250 schools. Nine hospitalizations were reported. The highest levels of flu activity were seen in the mid Atlantic region, as well as in New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Montana, Wyoming, Oregon, and Alaska.Oct 8 ACHA surveillance reportNY nurse sues over mandatory flu shotsA registered nurse in Dutchess County, New York, not far from New York City, has sued to prevent New York State from requiring heathcare workers to take the H1N1 flu vaccine. Newsday reports that attorneys for nurse Suzanne Field filed for a temporary restraining order last week on behalf of New York State’s 60,000 healthcare workers and expect to appear in court Wednesday. New York is the only state to require the vaccine, though individual healthcare organizations do as well.http://www.newsday.com/long-island/rockland-attorney-sues-to-halt-mandated-flu-shots-1.1514280Oct 9 Newsday reportPregnant women are Cuba’s first H1N1 deathsThe Cuban government says that 2,100 pregnant women on the island have been treated for symptoms of H1N1 flu, 110 are seriously ill, and 3 have died, according to a report by state-sponsored media that was carried by the AP. While the first wave of illness was among tourists, Cuban residents are now contracting the flu, with 621 cases confirmed, including 177 children, the deputy health minister said.http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2009/oct/10/cb-cuba-swine-flu-101009/Oct 10 AP reportSweden starts vaccinating health workersSweden began vaccinating health workers in the southern part of the country today, with clinics slated to begin immunizing people as soon as they receive the vaccine, Swedish-based TT News Agency reported today. Authorities noted a lot of interest in the vaccine a month ago when a few fatalities were reported, but the demand for the vaccine has leveled since. Sweden becomes the fourth country to launch novel H1N1 vaccination, after China, Australia, and the United States.Oct 12 TT News storyUK fears its health workers will shun vaccineThe United Kingdom’s Department of Health has ordered regional chiefs of the National Health Service (NHS) to make sure doctors and nurses take the H1N1 vaccine amid fears that uptake will be only 10% to 20%, The Guardian reports. NHS executives say healthcare staff will shun the vaccine because the disease appears mild, but fear high absenteeism if unvaccinated staff contract the flu.http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/oct/11/swine-flu-pandemic-vaccine-nhsOct 11 Guardian articlelast_img read more

Queenslander comes with a Roman-style spa

first_imgA Spring Hill home is offering buyers a chance to own a 689sqm property located just two kilometres from Brisbane’s CBD.Built in 1912, the ‘Eaton house’ is a recently restored property that offers a taste of ancient Rome combined with distinctive Queenslander-style architecture.Video Player is loading.Play VideoPlayNext playlist itemMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 2:04Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -2:04 Playback Rate1xChaptersChaptersDescriptionsdescriptions off, selectedCaptionscaptions settings, opens captions settings dialogcaptions off, selectedQuality Levels360p360p240p240pAutoA, selectedAudio Trackdefault, selectedFullscreenThis is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window.This is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.Close Modal DialogThis is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.PlayMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 0:00Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -0:00 Playback Rate1xFullscreenA part of Ancient Rome in Brisbane02:05Wow: Is this the world’s most expensive shed?The five-bedroom, three-bathroom home comes equipped with a kitchen with modern appliances and alfresco dining spaces on the balcony.It is also bound by four streets, meaning the house is the only one on the block.Live on your very own block. A recent update has completely transformed the home with touches of style reminiscent of a Roman spa.The granite luxury bath comes complete with pillars and carved stone lions spouting water.Signature chandeliers and ornate ceilings add further to the theme which can be seen throughout the house.An ancient Roman-inspired spa. McGrath New Farm Sales Agent Sherrie Storer says the location and proximity to schools will draw families to its beauty.“Lots of people are interested in this area as it’s so close to prestigious schools,” she tells The Courier Mail.“It would suit families with kids going to these schools who are sick and tired of maintenance.More from newsMould, age, not enough to stop 17 bidders fighting for this home3 hours agoBuyers ‘crazy’ not to take govt freebies, says 28-yr-old investor9 hours agoA fully-equipped modern kitchen with a view.“They will have the gardens of Roma St Parklands instead and with no travelling, they’ll also have plenty of free time.”In 2015, Malcolm McBratney restored the home.  It had been used as a block of flats by the previous owners.The home’s heritage features have been restored.After buying the home in 2005, McBratney worked alongside architects Andrew Watson and Ivan McDonald to update it, while conserving its Queenslander charm.The property is located close to nearby schools and the Brisbane CBD.The house will go under the hammer on the 30th of April at 4pm.last_img read more

Nadal hails ‘best season’ and ‘incredible era’

first_imgNadal’s win on Sunday was the latest chapter in an epic story of domination by the sport’s superstars.From Wimbledon in 2003, an incredible 53 of 58 Slams have now been claimed by just five men — Federer (19), Nadal (16), Novak Djokovic (12) and Andy Murray and Stan Wawrinka with three apiece.Only Andy Roddick, Gaston Gaudio, Marat Safin, Juan Martin del Potro and Marin Cilic have broken the spell.“We are are in an era that is not nice to say, because I’m part of it, but we are in an era that some players make incredible things in this sport,” said Nadal.“It’s difficult to win a lot of titles. We should be very happy. Probably even Roger and me and Novak, much more than we ever dreamed.” Share on: WhatsApp New York, United States | AFP |  Rafael Nadal described the year 2017 as “one of the best of his career” on Sunday after winning a third US Open and 16th Grand Slam.World number one Nadal defeated South Africa’s world number 32 Kevin Anderson 6-3, 6-3, 6-4 in a brutally one-sided final during which he did not face a break point.Nadal also claimed an unprecedented 10th French Open in June after finishing runner-up to Roger Federer at the Australian Open.“In terms of results, this has been one of the best seasons of my career, of course,” Nadal admitted of a year in which he won at least two Slams for the fourth time in his career.Had he gotten the better of Gilles Muller at Wimbledon, where he lost the final set of his fourth-round clash 15-13, the year might have been even more memorable.“I have been winning titles, playing three finals of Grand Slams, so that’s a lot. That’s so difficult. The other slam that I was not in the final, I lost the match 15-13 in the fifth to be in the quarterfinals.“So was very competitive year for me. And on clay, I won almost every match. Of course is an emotional season because I have been through tough moments in terms of injuries.” – Federer’s mark no big deal –Despite his success, catching the 19 majors of Federer is not particularly high on Nadal’s list of priorities.“I really never thought much about that. I just do my way. He does his way. Let’s see when we finish,” he said.“I have 16. So three is big difference. I really don’t think much about these kind of things.“Well done for Roger that he is having an amazing season, too, and well done for me because I’m having a great season, too.“Tennis is not all about the Grand Slams, so there are tournaments to come and I’m excited about this last part of the season.”It’s all a far cry from the end of last year when Nadal was ranked at nine in the world and Federer was 16.It was also a 2016 season that saw the injury-hobbled Nadal lose in the first round at the Australian Open, withdraw after two rounds of the French with a wrist problem, skip Wimbledon and exit the US Open in the last 16.However, in 2017, Federer and Nadal have won five titles apiece and on Monday they will be back at number one and two in the world for the first time since 2011.“I was surprised in January. Now I am not that much surprised,” said Nadal.“There are things that probably Roger and me share — that is passion for what we are doing, passion for tennis, passion for the competition and the spirit of improvement all the time.” To hammer home their enduring appeal and dominance, Federer and Nadal shared the four Slams in 2017 — Federer winning the Australian Open before capturing a record eighth Wimbledon.last_img read more

Colts Neck To Consider Whiskey & Gin Distillery Proposal

first_imgBy Joseph SapiaCOLTS NECK – The township Zoning Board is to hear a proposal to run a craft-style alcohol distillery in a non-conforming business zone on Route 34, near Delicious Orchards.GK Distilling Inc., owned by township resident Geoff Karch, is to appear before the board on Thursday, Feb. 18.GK Distilling is the contract-purchaser of the 2.71-acre property from Steven Garrett. Of the total property, about one acre would be used for the distillery, while the remaining acreage would include the relocated single-family house now on the property, a barn and detached garage.The property sits on Route 34 South, with Delicious Orchards and a medical office to the north, the Brandywine assisted-living facility to the west and south, and the state road to the east.The distillery would be housed in a new 4,500-square-foot building that would look like a barn or stable – divided into 900 square feet for a tasting room, with the remaining 3,600 feet for the distilling and storage, according to paperwork filed with the township. The new building would sit at about the site of the current house.GK Distilling would operate under state law and distill corn, rye, barley and wheat to create up to 20,000 gallons of whiskey or gin per year for wholesale and retail use. To be considered a New Jersey distilled beverage, it must either grow or buy locally 51 percent of its raw material.Those wishing to buy the product at retail to take offsite would be limited to five liters per person, only in connection with a tour of the operation. Distillery visitors would be allowed to consume a maximum of three one-ounce samples per person per day.The distillery, which would have 12 parking spaces, said it would expect no more than seven to 10 visitors per hour.Proposed business hours would be Wednesday, noon to 6 p.m.; Thursday, noon to 9 p.m.; Friday, noon to 10 p.m.; Saturday, 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.; and Sunday, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. The business would be closed Mondays and Tuesdays.There would be no food sales, but it may sell retail items such as T-shirts and hats.The distillery would employ four workers: the owner, master distiller, salesperson and an assistant worker. There would be about three truck deliveries or shipments per week.The operation would not be considered a regional attraction or produce a high volume of traffic, according to Timothy Anfuso, the township planner. This would fit the nature of a craft business, rather than a full commercial operation.The variance is needed because the B-1 zone, a zone for household-oriented businesses, does not include craft distilleries and because the house would be a non-conforming use.Aside from the variance, GK Distilling would still need local approval for a minor subdivision and both preliminary and final major site plan approval.The zoning board meeting is Thursday, Feb. 18, at 8 p.m. at Town Hall, 124 Cedar Drive.last_img read more