“Bob quickly emerged as the candidate who would bring a powerful new perspective to our business,” says Christopher Coughlin, D&B’s current lead director, in a statement. “His track record of strategic leadership and innovation, combined with his ability to leverage a company’s core strengths and assets, uniquely position him to begin a new chapter in D&B’s history.”Replacing Carrigan will be IDG Enterprise CEO Michael Friedenberg, who will become CEO of IDG Communications U.S. David Hill, CEO of IDG International Publishing Services, will become president, overseeing international aspects of the media operation, among other responsibilities. Revenue at D&B was up one percent in the second quarter to $386.4 million, but flat for the first half at $767.4 million when compared to the same periods last year. Dun & Bradstreet Corp., the business data and marketing and risk management services provider, has selected Bob Carrigan as its new president, CEO and director. The appointment comes a month after Carrigan announced he was stepping down as CEO of IDG Communications Worldwide.Carrigan starts at D&B on October 7. He’ll be replacing Sara Mathew, who will be retiring from her position as the company’s chairman and CEO. Carrigan’s post at IDG Communications officially ends on September 30, at which point he’ll join the company’s board of directors.
For the disability community, tech is the great equalizer The app helping the homeless take back control Men won’t talk about mental health and it’s literally killing them Related stories 0 CNET may get a commission from retail offers. See It Review • Apple iPad 2018 review: The iPad for everyone Post a comment $249 With every FACS officer responsible for between 350 and 450 properties, the department was previously only visiting 30 percent of its public housing tenants in a given year. After the app was launched across the state in April 2018, the department conducted one third of its yearly visits — more than 20,000 interactions — in just 60 days.Former FACS client services officer Roger Mclean helped develop the app and knows the problem faced by front-line public housing workers too well. For each public housing visit he used to conduct, he says he would spend upwards of three hours printing out forms, rifling through case files and doing dry paperwork. For a person who got into the job to help people, the bulk of his time was spent on data entry. “It was horrible and very time consuming,” he says. “Now, we’re not rushing.”With only an iPad in tow, case workers can now spend time actually speaking to tenants in their homes, where issues are easier to identify and difficult conversations can be conducted in privacy. For elderly residents and people living with a disability the focus on in-home interactions is game-changing. “Before, we spent 100 percent of our time on 10 percent of our clients,” says Lance Carden, director of customer service and business improvement at FACS.But for Carden, the biggest change has been a shift from putting out fires to actually engaging with people in the community who need it most. “We miss out on early intervention if we’re not visiting everybody. And we’re missing that social and human element.”Tech Enabled: CNET chronicles tech’s role in providing new kinds of accessibility.The Smartest Stuff: Innovators are thinking up new ways to make you, and the things around you, smarter. $329 $249 Share your voice See It See it Apple Amazon Mentioned Above Apple iPad 2018 (space gray, 32GB) Culture See It Best Buy Family and Community Services officer Roger Mclean talks through the Ivy app with Kate McDonnell. Ian Knighton/CNET For millions around the world, public housing offers the promise of a much-needed roof overhead.But the reality of public housing can be grim, and problems that start small can often become bureaucratic nightmares.That might be a case of waiting weeks to get a broken door fixed or having to file repeated complaints about rowdy neighbours. But issues can be left to fester if councils ignore public housing tenants. And in some cases, as the world saw with the massive fire at London’s Grenfell Tower housing complex in 2017, that can have tragic consequences. While governments can be notoriously slow to adapt, one community housing provider is using tech to catch potential problems before they become big issues, making life easier for some of the most vulnerable people in society. That solution is the Ivy app.Created by the NSW Department of Family and Community Services (FACS) in Australia, this iOS app was developed to cut out the endless paperwork case workers and community housing residents need to complete to get basic things done. It lets case workers fill property condition reports and take photos directly on an iPad, while also accessing family records, past incidents or safety issues and recent rent and water bills. Residents can complete forms and make payments on the spot, without having to visit a FACS office or wait an age on the phone to get connected to a call centre. And it’s all done through an iPad, which holds records of all the properties and families a case worker deals with, letting them map out appointments and access any information with a tap of the screen. Enlarge ImageThe Ivy app lets public housing residents pay bills, update records and get immediate referrals for help around their home. Ian Knighton/CNET A simple tech update might seem like a no-brainer. But for Kate McDonnell, who lives in public housing with her five children in inner-city Sydney, the Ivy app has been a huge help. “Before, paperwork got lost … things were falling by the wayside,” she says. Case workers were “overloaded” with admin, and when she did actually get home visits, it was often a new case worker each time.Now, when she has issues, she doesn’t need to wrangle her two young children to get to a FACS centre while the other kids are in school — everything is done through the iPad. And when her case worker visits her house, “I know who they are.” $249 Tags Apple iPad
Britain’s Prime Minister Theresa May gestures during a visit to the Leisure Box in Brierfield, Lancashire, on 25 April 2019, during campaigning for the local elections. Photo: AFPBritain’s splintered government was rocked Friday by a growing scandal over who leaked news that prime minister Theresa May has conditionally allowed Chinese giant Huawei to develop the UK 5G network.The highly controversial decision was reportedly made at a meeting on Tuesday of Britain’s National Security Council despite opposition from some ministers who are seen as potential candidates to replace May.National Security Council discussions are only attended by senior ministers and security officials who first sign the Official Secrets Act that commits them to keep all conversations private or risk prosecution.But The Telegraph newspaper broke the news late Tuesday that May approved granting Huawei permission to build up “non-core” elements of Britain’s next-generation telecommunications network.The United States is adamantly opposed to Huawei’s involvement because of the firm’s obligation under Chinese law to help its home government if asked, including in intelligence matters.British media reported that Cabinet Secretary Sir Mark Sedwill—the country’s most senior civil servant—gave those present an ultimatum until Thursday afternoon to deny responsibility for the leak.Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt and Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson did so first.Hunt called it “utterly appalling” and Williams described it as “completely unacceptable”.They were soon joined by interior minister Sajid Javid—who like Hunt is one of the frontrunners to succeed May as Conservative Party leader—and at least one other attending cabinet member.May herself said Thursday that she does not comment on National Security Council meetings.Sky News reported Friday that the ongoing government inquiry into the source of the leak could become a formal criminal investigation.Former cabinet secretary Gus O’Donnell told BBC radio that the disclosure of National Security Council information was “incredibly serious” and a “complete outrage”.“This is really important for the country, these issues are massively important,” he said.May’s government has been experiencing strains for months.Disputes over Britain’s stalled withdrawal from the European Union have seen several ministers resign.May herself has promised to step down as soon as she gets the first stage of Brexit over the line. The new extended deadline for the process is now 31 October.Her commitment to quit has only fomented cabinet rivalries as various ministers jockey for position in a looming leadership race.May’s spokesman said Wednesday that a formal decision on Huawei would be made by June.
Kids Stay Free at select luxury Bahia properties Friday, June 16, 2017 MIAMI — Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts is making summer travel even more affordable for families with a Kids Stay Free offer at select properties.Available for stays through Oct. 31, the offer includes the new five-star Luxury Bahia Principe Fantasia Don Pablo Collection and Grand Bahia Principe Turquesa, where the first child stays free, as well as the Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana where up to two kids stay free.“We have taken fantastic steps to make summer 2017 not only more kid-friendly than ever, but even more affordable as part of our commitment to offering all-inclusive luxury travel the whole family can enjoy,” said Helen Montijano, VP of Sales, USA. “From the new waterpark at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, to the new five-star Luxury Bahia Principe Fantasia Don Pablo Collection in the Dominican Republic, Bahia Principe knows how to turn family vacations into memorable Caribbean fairy tales – all while offering competitive rates.”More news: ‘Turn around year’ for TPI brings double-digit growthThe newly-opened Luxury Bahia Principe Fantasia Don Pablo Collection in Punta Cana features a pool with a fairy tale castle, complete with its own moat and bridge, a delight for children of all ages. Other family-friendly features in the new Fantasia include entertainment for all ages and a Kids Club with costume workshops, arts and crafts activities, cooking classes, expeditions and a waterpark. The Fantasia Teens Club for guests aged 12 to 17 is equipped with a gym, movie theatre, DJ dance floor, video consoles, pool table, and spa.Bahia Principe hotels offer a wide array of kid-friendly touches, including family suites in select hotels where welcome packages include children’s bath kits and bathrobes, minibars that come with milkshakes and soft drinks, children’s mini-clubs and even kids spa treatments. Babysitting services let parents take a romantic break too. For guests looking for adventure, the Bahia Scouts program combines fun, learning and excitement in supervised activities split by age group.More news: Sunwing offers ultimate package deal ahead of YXU flights to SNU, PUJBahia Principe Hotels & Resorts includes properties in the Dominican Republic, Mexico and Jamaica. Travelweek Group << Previous PostNext Post >> Tags: Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts Posted by Share
Thursday, November 23, 2017 NEW YORK — Insurers for American Airlines, United Airlines and other aviation defendants have agreed to pay $95 million to settle claims that security lapses led planes to be hijacked in the Sept. 11 attacks.The settlement was described in papers filed Tuesday in Manhattan federal court. Developers of the new World Trade Center buildings had once demanded $3.5 billion from aviation-related companies after hijacked planes destroyed three skyscrapers among five demolished buildings on Sept. 11, 2001.Lawyers said the agreement signed last week resulted from “extensive, arms-length negotiations” by lawyers “who worked diligently for months.” The agreement also said the parties make no admissions or concessions with respect to liability for the attacks.“The court’s approval of the settlement agreement will bring to a close this hard-fought 13-year litigation on terms agreeable to the parties,” the lawyers said.Attorney Desmond T. Barry Jr., who submitted the papers to U.S. District Judge Alvin K. Hellerstein, declined to comment Wednesday.More news: Save the dates! Goway’s Africa Roadshow is backDeveloper Larry Silverstein and World Trade Center Properties have collected more than $5 billion from other defendants through lawsuits. The money has aided the reconstruction of buildings on the 16-acre lower Manhattan site.Earlier settlements included $135 million paid to a financial services firm that lost two-thirds of its employees.American Airlines spokesman Matt Miller said the company is pleased to have reached a settlement.“We will never forget that terrible day and its lasting impact including the tragic loss of 23 members of the American Airlines family,” said Miller.United Airlines declined to comment.Bud Perrone, a spokesman for Silverstein, said the company is “pleased to have finally reached a resolution to this piece of post-9-11 litigation.” << Previous PostNext Post >> Source: The Associated Press Airline defendants to pay US$95 million in 9/11 case Share