Sangrur ‘attack’: CBI probe sought

first_imgThe Shiromani Akali Dal on Friday demanded a CBI inquiry into the alleged attack on the cavalcade of party president Sukhbir Singh Badal in Sangrur on Thursday.At a joint press conference, senior SAD leaders Maheshinder Singh Grewal, Sharanjit Singh Dhillon and Daljit Singh Cheema alleged that the ruling Congress government was behind the attack.“The police have diluted the charges by refusing to book the assailants under Section 307 (attempt to murder), besides not observing the guidelines of the blue book which is compulsory in all such incidents involving people with Z-plus security,” they alleged.The leaders demanded that the Congress government immediately entrust the case to the CBI for investigation as “the State police could not be expected to give justice in the case”. The CBI alone can unmask the political conspiracy behind the incident and bring the real culprits to book, they said.Meeting with RajnathA party delegation would also meet Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh and apprise him of the incident.The SAD leaders said that the Congress was feeling insecure and rattled ahead of the Akali Dal’s proposed rally on October 7 at Patiala, the home town of Chief Minister Amarinder Singh.Mr. Badal’s cavalcade was attacked with sticks on Thursday, allegedly by people associated with radical Sikh outfits.last_img read more

Protests erupt in Kashmir Valley against alleged rape of 3-year-old

first_imgProtests erupted on Monday in parts of the Kashmir Valley against the rape of a three-year-old, allegedly by a local youth in north Kashmir, forcing the authorities to close all educational institutes. Divisional Commissioner of Kashmir Baseer Ahmad Khan appealed to people to maintain peace, brotherhood and law and order. “Justice will be done and the culprit will be given severe punishment as per law. It will be investigated on a fast track,” he said.On Thursday, the youth allegedly lured the child with a candy and raped her in Sumbal area’s Trehgam locality.A medical report is yet to be produced.The child’s family said she was sexually assaulted by the youth who lives in their neighbourhood. Violent protests broke out for the second consecutive day in parts of Baramulla, Srinagar and Bandipora districts. Protesters closed the Srinagar-Baramulla highway. The authorities decided to close schools and colleges as a precautionary measure. A spontaneous shutdown was observed across the Valley over the incident.Youth arrested: policeA police official said the youth had been arrested, and a special investigation team constituted to investigate the case. The head of a local school who issued a birth certificate to the accused, declaring him a minor, has been arrested. A medical team is likely to determine the accused’s age through scientific measures.All political parties, religious and social groups have condemned the incident.”Mortified to hear about the rape of a three-year-old in Sumbal. What kind of a sick pervert would do this? Society often blames women for inviting unwanted attention but what was this child’s fault? Times like these, Shariah law seems apt so that such paedophiles are stoned to death,” Mehbooba Mufti, former Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir said in a tweet. People’s Conference general secretary Imran Reza Ansari described the incident as a crime against humanity and demanded severe punishment to the accused.”The need of the hour is to set up a fast track court for punishing the accused. Action should be taken against the school for issuing a fake date of birth certificate to show that the accused is a minor,” said Mr. Ansari.Mirwaiz’s pleaHurriyat chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq appealed for unity and vigil against some elements who want to divide people on sectarian basis.”A fervent appeal to all the people of Kashmir to maintain unity and vigil, especially in view of mischievous forces waiting to create a sectarian divide out of this most reprehensible crime against a child which is indeed a crime against all humanity. All of Kashmir stands in unison,” said Mr. Farooq.last_img read more

Philippine Azkals flaunt quality under continental spotlight

first_img(From up L) Philippines’ defender Luke Woodland, Philippines’ defender Alvaro Silva, Philippines’ forward Patrick Reichelt, Philippines’ midfielder Kevin Ingreso, Philippines’ goalkeeper Michael Falkesgaard(From down L) Philippines’ defender Daisuke Sato, Philippines’ midfielder Stephan Schrock, Philippines’ forward Javier Patino, Philippines’ midfielder Manuel Ott, Philippines’ defender Stefan Palla pose for a photograph prior to the 2019 AFC Asian Cup football game between Korea Republic and Philippines at the al-Maktoum stadium in Dubai on January 07, 2019. (Photo by Giuseppe CACACE / AFP)DUBAI—It was a debut many years in the making and the Philippines surely left its mark, notwithstanding the result.On a cold Monday night at Al Maktoum Stadium, the Azkals combined their grit and resilience with their tactical genius and work rate for the rest of the continent to see as they went toe-to-toe against a giant in South Korea in their Group C opener.ADVERTISEMENT That the Koreans needed a 67th minute strike from Hwang Uijo to finally grab maximum points was a mere footnote to what was a memorable introduction for the Azkals, who showed a spring in their step as chants of Pilipinas reverberated inside the cavernous, newly-refurbished facility throughout the match.READ: Asian Cup: Azkals impress in loss to South KoreaFEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine ‍football chiefSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool stars“After a game like this, you will be having one teary eye and one which is okay with the result and the performance,” said midfielder Stephan Schrock, the captain for the night as coach Sven Goran Eriksson opted to start Javier Patino in favor of Phil Younghusband.“We are very proud. Korea had a lot of good players, they are composed and much better than the average Asian team. We surprised everyone with the performance tonight. We did very good. We have something to build on.” LOOK: Joyce Pring goes public with engagement to Juancho Triviño TS Kammuri to enter PAR possibly a day after SEA Games opening SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion PBA to implement new rules on goaltending review, traveling, timeouts SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion The Azkals will take a two-hour bus ride to Abu Dhabi late Tuesday as they prepare for their duel with China on Friday. Getting a result against the Chinese is paramount for Eriksson’s side if it wants to advance to the last 16.Few expected the Azkals to stay competitive against a Korean team that regularly plays in the World Cup and only recently stunned former World Cup champion Germany, 2-0.But the Azkals were hardly fazed by the quality and experience of a Korean side, which had established players in Ki Seungyeung of Newcastle United and Lee Chungyoung, formerly of Crystal Palace.The tactical brilliance of the staff led by Eriksson and deputies Scott Cooper and Chris Greatwich allowed the Azkals to cope with the Korean assault for majority of the match.The Azkals defended deep, but they tracked runs off the ball and produced a solid defensive block that hardly allowed the Koreans to break through. On the counter, they proved dangerous with Schrock and Patrick Reichelt threatening on the right and Patino holding up the play to relieve the pressure.ADVERTISEMENT Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next It took some tweaks and the introduction of Lee early in the second half for Korea to finally break down the Azkals.Lee, who played four seasons in the Premier League, praised the Azkals for their gallant stand.“Everyone thought Korea will win this game, but we saw in the first half that it was not easy,” said the midfielder. “It was a tough game for us. I’m happy to get a result, but the Philippines is good. They have a good future in this tournament.”The three-man defense anchored by Alvaro Silva put bodies on the line just to deny the Koreans opportunities, while Michael Falkesgaard produced three big saves to keep the Azkals in the match up until the late stages of the match.Patino led the line ferociously and provided the Azkals an attacking outlet when they recover the ball from deep positions, but his finishing let him down particularly in the second half when his tamed effort failed to beat Kim Seunggyu on the Korean goal when the match was still goalless.“We kept it nil nil for a long time,” said Younghusband, who came on in the 88th minute.“The longer it got, the more confidence it gave us. Every player had to work in this team. If you lose concentration or you sleep, South Korea will take advantage.”Still, it was a debut to remember for a Philippine team that struggles to get support for the sport back home.“The feeling is incredible: The whole atmosphere,” said Reichelt. “You can feel that this was all a different stage. And we showed that we belong in this stage.”“I’m happy with the performance; but I’m also sad because we could have gotten something out of it,” said Azkals manager Dan Palami. “But if somebody told us before the game that it was going to be just 1-nil, I would take it anytime against a team like South Korea which is always in the World Cup. It gives us encouragement and motivation to do better in our next games.”center_img Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View comments Hotel management clarifies SEAG footballers’ kikiam breakfast issue Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting MOST READ Is Luis Manzano planning to propose to Jessy Mendiola? LATEST STORIES RELATED VIDEO Magalong: Albayalde also got SUV out of ‘agaw bato’ operation in 2013 PLAY LIST 01:19Magalong: Albayalde also got SUV out of ‘agaw bato’ operation in 201300:50Trending Articles01:21’Save the PNP:’ Gordon says Albayalde ‘under pressure’ from PMA02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krausslast_img read more