Bahamas’ Ayton eyes top pick in NBA Draft

first_imgJiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina Cloudy skies over Luzon due to amihan Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Taal victims get help from Kalayaan town Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew View comments Ayton, who turns 20 next month, is certain that he’ll be the first pick in the annual selection of top college talent by NBA teams.“I know I’m going No.1,” Ayton told a press conference earlier this month.Standing at 7ft (2.13m) tall and weighing in at 260 pounds (117kg), Ayton has earned comparisons to Los Angeles Lakers legend O’Neal — and he is happy to measure himself up against the four-time NBA Finals champion.In fact, Ayton believes he could form a partnership in Phoenix with Devin Booker similar to the Lakers’ famous O’Neal-Kobe Bryant double-act which dominated the NBA.“Honestly, I could see myself in Phoenix,” Ayton said in April. “I could see a little Shaq and Kobe 2.0,” he added.ADVERTISEMENT Deandre Ayton attends the PUMA Hoops HQ kickoff where Walt “Clyde” Frazier signs the first ever life long contract with PUMA on June 18, 2018 in Brooklyn. Jamie McCarthy/Getty Images for PUMA/AFPTowering Bahamian teenager DeAndre Ayton is poised to be chosen with the top pick in the NBA Draft on Thursday, with the Phoenix Suns set to snap up the 7ft center who compares himself to Shaquille O’Neal.Barring a major shock, the 19-year-old Ayton is widely expected to be selected by the Suns, who finished the season propping up the Western Conference with a dismal record of 21 wins against 61 defeats, the worst record in the NBA.ADVERTISEMENT Christopher Tolkien, son of Lord of the Rings author, dies aged 95 Colombia midfielder gets second-fastest World Cup red card Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Nextcenter_img Ayton, a dominant force in college basketball last season for the University of Arizona Wildcats, is seen as the closest thing the draft gets to a sure thing.The teen has already impressed the Suns during a workout, with general manager Ryan McDonough describing the youngster as a rare but raw talent.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown“I think this is my 16th draft in the NBA and you could probably count on one hand the number of guys with his size, athleticism, footwork, balance, touch,” McDonough told The Los Angeles Times.“It’s a unique package. The fact that he hasn’t been playing the game all that long makes it all the more impressive,” McDonough added. Ayton’s self-assurance, and certainty that he will be picked first, has not endeared him to other top prospects in the draft however.Duke University big man Marvin Bagley, who is expected to be one of the top three picks, believes he should be above Ayton in the pecking order.“People could take it how they want, but I know DeAndre, we’re both competitive, but at the end of the day we both play this game to be the best,” Bagley told Sports Illustrated this week.“So no, I don’t think (Ayton) should be drafted before me.”Elsewhere on Thursday, Slovenian point guard Luka Doncic is expected to feature prominently after declaring himself available for selection.The 19-year-old point guard head to New York just days after sealing the Spanish league championship with Real Madrid.Doncic is projected to go with the fourth pick of the draft, with the Memphis Grizzlies tipped to snap up the talented youngster.Doncic, who recently won the Euroleague MVP award, said he expects to be chosen with one of the top five picks. Any team ignoring his talents would be making a mistake, he said.“Pick one to five, it will be amazing to be selected there, especially for a European guy,” Doncic said. “I need to show it on the court, because I need to prove it. I can see who made a mistake not drafting me. After my rookie season, I will see who made a mistake.” Jury of 7 men, 5 women selected for Harvey Weinstein rape trial In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Bicol riders extend help to Taal evacuees LATEST STORIES MOST READlast_img read more

Ellen’s Twilight: A Time for Evenhandedness and Constitutional Tolerance

first_imgThe abrupt closure last Saturday of Benoni Urey’s radio station, situated at 10th Street, Sinkor, is a highly disturbing development indeed. A Ministry of Information press release issued Sunday by Deputy Minister Isaac Jackson said the closure action was executed by the Civil Law Court. But the press as well as bystanders and passersby observed a full contingent of officers of the Police Support Unit (PSU) and the Emergency Response Unit (ERU), clad in full riot gear, standing outside the radio station, as though in full readiness for combat.One bystander remarked that the scene was a vivid reminder of the frequent attacks which the Samuel K. Doe and People’s Redemption government launched against the Daily Observer newspaper in the 1980s. What is most disturbing about this terribly unfortunate incident is that this is the third time the Ellen Johnson Sirleaf government has moved to close down a media house. That is apart from the closure in November 2011 of Kings FM, Love FM (now LIB-24) and Power FM/TV. These closures were in connection with a riot at the party headquarters of the Congress for Democratic Change (CDC), executed on the eve of the election run-off between the incumbent President Sirleaf’s Unity Party and the CDC. The GOL said that in taking that action against the three electronic media outlets, GOL attempted to preempt a Rwanda-style radio broadcast that incited people to riot and kill. The three closures we refer to in this editorial are directly related to actions by these media houses which GOL deemed were particularly critical of the presidency. The first was in 2014 when government summarily shut down The Chronicle newspaper owned and operated by Philipbert Browne. This newspaper had been launching a persistent campaign calling for an alleged “interim government” that it said was in the making to unseat the incumbent national leadership headed by President Sirleaf. The second, which occurred on July 4, 2016, was the closure of the Voice FM operated by Henry Costa, whose highly controversial talk show were very critical of the country’s current political administration. Costa then moved his talk show to Mr. Urey’s LIB-24 FM. Costa’s prime offense this time was a letter allegedly written by President Sirleaf to the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Alex Tyler, proposing a certain change in the statues. Costa conjectured that the letter had something to do with the Global Witness allegations of several government officials who involved in changing some of the country’s laws and regulations to accommodate the mining interests of the UK-based Sable Mining. Costa, in his talk show last week, interpreted the President’s letter to the Speaker to mean that she was the one whom Global Witness called “Big Boy 1.”That, too, was, in Costa’s typical style, highly explosive; and that may have tipped the sudden action against Urey’s station, which Costa was now using to air his broadcasts.It is not clear how or whether Costa definitively linked the President to any wrong doing by her letter to Tyler. We do not see how the President’s letter to Tyler linked her to any impropriety. Be that as it may, we are deeply saddened by the government’s over reaction. There are two reasons: first, this has brought the whole Global Witness allegations into sharper public focus and has forced people to sit up and think and listen and speak out and do their own investigation in a matter that seemed to be dying down already.We are deeply saddened, secondly, because we cannot see how this closure of yet another media house can help the President’s image—and legacy. There have been numerous criticisms against her administration. However, the one thing that people have unequivocally credited her with is her tolerance of media criticism. Here is a Liberian President who has staunchly followed President Tolbert’s lead in rejecting the iron bar that President Tubman imposed on freedom of speech and of the press. As far as Tubman, Doe and Charles Taylor were concerned, these freedoms were nowhere in the Liberian Constitution. And yet they were—and are—and despite the draconian laws still on our books, President Sirleaf has effectively avoided using them against the media, and actually constantly advocated their repeal.That is why she became only the second African leader to sign the Table Mountain Declaration.We pray that the President will maintain the tolerance she has exercised since her tenure began in 2006 and deal evenhandedly with the media on the high moral ground of constitutional faithfulness and tolerance.At the same time, we urge all our media colleagues to be equally evenhanded and fair to all whom they cover.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Virgin Atlantic and Jet Airways expand code sharing agreement

first_imgVirgin Atlantic has expanded its code-share agreement with Jet Airways, which will help the Virgin airline in offering new travel options to four Indian cities— Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Chennai and Kolkata. The flights will be connecting between Delhi and London Heathrow service, with the Indian domestic code-share flights being operated by Jet Airways.The extended agreement would offer customers with the convenience of having all of their boarding passes issued at the originating airport, whether their travel originates in the India or UK.Nick Parker, Head of India and Middle East, Virgin Atlantic said, “It is really important to us to be able to offer our customers convenient one-stop options to get to where they want to fly. As part of our commitment to the Indian market, we already operate a successful code-share with Jet Airways between Mumbai and London, and we are delighted that our partnership is allowing us to open up other popular destinations in India for our customers.”Commenting on the development, Jet Airways, Chief Commercial Officer, Raj Sivakumar said, “We are indeed pleased to offer enhanced and seamless connectivity to Virgin Atlantic guests by offering seamless travel through this expanded code-share arrangement, providing our guests more options in the growing India-UK.”Virgin Atlantic has a daily flight service between Delhi and London Heathrow on a Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner, the newest aircraft in its fleet. Virgin Atlantic presently has six Boeing 787-9s in its fleet and is expecting 11 more by the end of 2018.last_img read more