UVM College of Medicine names John Lunde, MD, Buttles Professor of Pathology

first_imgEdwin Bovill, M.D., professor and chair of pathology, has announced that John Lunde, M.D., associate professor of pathology and medicine, has been named the recipient of the Buttles Professorship in Pathology for 2009-2014. Established in 1984 to honor the late Ernest Hiram Buttles, M.D.’08, who served as chair of pathology and bacteriology from 1921 to 1946, the professorship recognizes a pathology faculty member for their commitment to and excellence in the teaching of pathology.Born in 1880 and raised in Brandon, Vt., Dr. Buttles received an undergraduate degree from the University of Vermont in 1901 and graduated second in the College of Medicine’s Class of 1908. According to Roy Korson, M.D., professor of pathology emeritus, Buttles was “best remembered as a teacher and model for clear thinking. His opinions were respected in the classroom as well as in his pathology practice.”Like Buttles, Lunde, who joined the UVM faculty in 1987, received both his undergraduate and medical degrees from UVM. Medical students have recognized him for his teaching excellence several times over the years. In 2007, the Class of 2009 presented Lunde with The Foundations Teaching Award, which recognizes clarity of lectures and overall outstanding teaching ability. He was also named Basic Science Teacher of the Year by the Class of 2000. Other awards he has received include the Golden Apple Award for best teacher with limited contact hours from the Classes of 1998 and 2000, as well as the Silver Stethoscope Award from the Class of 2007, given to teachers with few lecture hours, but who have made a substantial contribution to students’ education.Source: UVMlast_img read more

China unofficial Christian churches petition ministers

first_img Sharing is caring! 90 Views   no discussions FaithInternationalLifestylePrint China unofficial Christian churches petition ministers by: – May 12, 2011 Share Sharecenter_img Shouwang is one of Beijing’s biggest “underground” Churches, with more than 1,000 membersThe leaders of 17 unofficial Christian churches in China have appealed to political leaders to protect their right to worship.A petition was delivered to parliament demanding an investigation into the treatment of Shouwang church members.China’s constitution guarantees freedom of worship but dozens of church members have been arrested in recent months.Of China’s estimated 70m Christians, about 50m worship with unregistered groups known as “house” churches.The rest attend government-approved churches.‘Protection of the liberty’Shouwang is one of Beijing’s biggest so-called underground churches, with more than 1,000 members.Such groups are broadly tolerated, but Shouwang leaders have annoyed the authorities in recent weeks by insisting on trying to hold services in the open, after the lease on church premises was terminated.The petition, which was signed by the pastors of 17 of the leading house churches, was addressed to the National People’s Congress chairman, Wu Bangguo.“We have observed the conflict between state and church unfolding recently in our capital Beijing and have so far seen no sign of the conflict being resolved,” the petition said.It urged ministers for a new law for the “protection of the liberty of religious faith”.China’s Foreign Ministry said Shouwang members had “tried repeatedly to gather illegally in the streets” and the government response was intended to “maintain public order and security”.“The Chinese government safeguards the right of Chinese citizens to religious freedom and freedom of faith in accordance with the law,” spokesman Jiang Yu said at a news briefing.“At the same time, while enjoying their freedom, citizens must respect their legal rights and obligations and cannot harm the public interest.”BBC News Share Tweetlast_img read more

Enough is enough says legal counsel for PM Skerrit

first_imgSenior Counsel, Anthony Astaphan.Senior Counsel Anthony Astaphan, one of the counsels on the legal team representing Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit says “enough is enough” regarding the onslaught of allegations made against him in recent times regarding sale of Dominica’s passports.At a press conference on Friday, Mr Astaphan told the media that the prime minister had not sought legal action in the past against several issues naming the “bin bobol” and “ownership of villas” scandals, as the prime minister regards these issues as “the new scavenging of politics” and did not wish to take legal redress as other prime ministers in the region have done.However, Mr. Astaphan explained that the allegations made by Dr. Thomson Fontaine via the internet and radio that the British issued an advisory on Dominican passports and the Royal Family boycotting Dominica as part of its Jubilee celebrations was the “straw that broke the camel’s back”.“The straw that broke the camel’s back was Thomson Fontaine’s deliberate manufacturing of evidence that there was the British advisory on Dominican passports which turned out to be completely and absolutely false. The sensational lie that the Royal Family had boycotted or snubbed Dominica because Dominica was not part of its Jubilee itinerary, when we had gotten the explanation from authoritative source that is, that Dominica as a republic is not part of the British realm and had not invited the Royal Family and there are in fact no significant British investments here.”He explained further that the recent postings alleging that a known terrorist is the holder of a Dominican passport “crossed the line”.“It was enough particularly when we began to see these postings of passports and profiteers of shame and Dawood using Dominica’s passports and certain articles written by Jeremy St. Clair, Thomson Fontaine then some guy from Bangladesh or India being posted in the international and regional media on the world wide web, we began to realize that there was something fundamentally wrong with that, so enough is enough”, Astaphan said.Mr. Astaphan highlighted their reasoning for naming Q95FM Radio as a party to the lawsuit.“We have decided that as a matter of policy to join the owners of Q95FM in this case because the time has come for us to make the question of the responsibility of the radio programs a landmark issue for the Courts to decide.”He also explained the legal team’s reasoning for not including Weekly Blitz as a party to the lawsuit.“Weekly Blitz is not Dominican, Weekly Blitz is a marginal fringe anti-Islamic publication in Bangladesh, he’s apologized to us, he says he was going to send me material to show why he did it and he has sent me material and we are looking at it and all that I’m saying is that my position is consistent. All that I am saying is I told you so, you guys went on a campaign to destroy the reputation of the country based on Weekly Blitz and it backfired.”According to Mr. Astaphan this was not merely an attack on Prime Minister Skerrit but an attack on the country, attack on citizens with Dominican passports and an attack on the national security of Dominica.Dominica Vibes News Share LocalNews Enough is enough says legal counsel for PM Skerrit by: – December 30, 2011 Sharing is caring! Tweetcenter_img 280 Views   no discussions Share Sharelast_img read more