HBOs chief the force behind Game of Thrones to step down

first_imgHBO chief executive Richard Plepler, here with Big Little Lies stars Nicole Kidman and Reese Witherspoon, oversaw HBO’s rise as an awards juggernaut.  Getty Images Richard Plepler, the longtime head of HBO who ushered the network to newfound critical and popular dominance with hits like Game of Thrones, is stepping down.  Plepler, whose departure was announced Thursday, oversaw HBO’s rise to dominate television awards ceremonies and audience ratings, most recently with blockbuster, critically praised hits like Game of Thrones. He also spearheaded HBO as one of the pioneers in TVs transition to direct-to-consumer streaming subscriptions. HBO was one of the first traditional networks to make its programming available online to people who subscribed directly with its app, rather than requiring a regular pay-TV subscription. The announcement comes the same week a court decision lifted the final question marks holding back AT&T from exerting its full control over HBO. AT&T agreed to take over HBO’s parent, Time Warner, more than two years ago in an $85 billion deal. But the Department of Justice took the companies to court, hoping to block the merger and, later, appealing to potentially unwind it. The US government lost its appeal Tuesday.”Hard as it is to think about leaving the company I love, and the people I love in it, it is the right time for me to do so,” Plepler said in a memo to employees. John Stankey, a veteran AT&T executive who was appointed to lead WarnerMedia last year (becoming Plepler’s boss), called him “one of the most successful executives in our industry.””I have been fortunate to have his support over the last months,” Stankey said in statement.  Share your voice 0 Tags Post a comment TV and Movies Digital Media Time Warner Game of Thrones HBO AT&T Netflixlast_img read more

Opening this December Melias newest resort in Punta Cana

first_img PALMA DE MALLORCA — Melia Hotels International is set to debut a sprawling new all-inclusive resort in Punta Cana in time for the busy winter season.Costing $110 million and featuring 288 suite-style accommodations, The Grand Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real is located 30 minutes from Punta Cana International Airport on the famed Playa de Bavaro. Upon completion, it will also boast seven restaurants and bars, a full-service spa, kids club, aqua adventure park and a wellness facility with gym equipment.Rooms will range from 800 to over 3,000 square feet, with suites including either one or two bedrooms, living and dining spaces, soaking tubs, walk-in showers, private balconies with hydro-massage whirlpool tubs and outdoor living spaces. Most noteworthy of the suites are The Grand Reserve’s Swim-Up Suites featuring one or two bedrooms, direct access to an exclusive pool, lush garden areas and a solarium.Co-existing with hotel guests will be an additional 144 suites for members of Circle by Melia for a total of 432 suites in the entire building. Launched in 2016, Circle by Melia is Melia Hotels International’s vacation membership program that includes private transfers, exclusive dining experiences, spa treatments and special add-on amenities for children and couples.More news:  Sunwing offers ultimate package deal ahead of YXU flights to SNU, PUJOther top selling points will be the Cigar Bar, coming this winter, The Grand Reserve Spa by Natura Bissé featuring 14 treatment rooms and a relaxation room, and Stay at One & Play at Three privileges, which include complete access to the extensive property offerings at both The Reserve and Paradisus Palma Real.“We’re eager and excited to welcome The Grand Reserve to the Melia Hotels International family later this year, said Alvaro Tejada, Senior Vice President for the Americas for Melia Hotels International.” With its unique design superior amenities and new technological advancements, The Grand Reserve is set to radically transform the way travelers experience our hotels in the Dominican Republic.”In addition to The Grand Reserve, Melia Hotels International is transforming its Meliá Caribe Tropical property into two distinct properties: Meliá Punta Cana Beach Resort for adults only, and Meliá Caribe Beach resort for families, set to be completed by November 2018. Share Thursday, June 21, 2018 Posted by Tags: Melia Hotels, Punta Canacenter_img Travelweek Group Opening this December: Melia’s newest resort in Punta Cana << Previous PostNext Post >>last_img read more