– Advertisement – Liberian-American writer/blogger Chantal Victoria has released her first children’s book, Janjay, set in Liberia.The plot of the book centers around 8-year-old Janjay, a smart, curious, energetic girl who one day neglects her responsibility of collecting clean water for her family to join a friend for an afternoon adventure.According to a press release, the story is packed with humor and local language dialogue to capture the essence of Liberian culture.Children everywhere can enjoy the tale because of relatable characters, relationships, and experiences. There is a strong message on the global issue of access to clean water that resonates with millions of girls around the world.The book is available on May 24 in paperback, eBook, and audiobook versions everywhere books are sold including on the author’s site (www.chantalvictoria.com/books), Amazon, Barnes & Noble, audible, and iBooks.About Chantal VictoriaChantal Victoria (Chantal Victoria Kyei, nee Bright) is a first generation Liberian-American. Due to the civil wars in Liberia, her family sought refuge in the United States where she grew up in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She holds a Master’s with a concentration in Environmental Management from the University of Pennsylvania and a Bachelor of Arts in English and Political Science.She resides in London, England with her husband.For more information about Janjay, please visit www.chantalvictoria.com or contact by email at firstname.lastname@example.orgShare this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Designers take Miyamoto’s lectures seriously. Time magazine called him “the Stephen Spielberg of video games.” Miyamoto created titles such as “Mario Brothers,” “Donkey Kong” and “The Legend of Zelda.” Together, those titles have sold about 288 million copies. Miyamoto – an ambidextrous doodler who plays guitar and banjo – joined Nintendo in 1980 to work on coin-operated arcade games. He’s worked on every game console Nintendo has released over nearly three decades, including the popular Wii, which debuted last year. He also helped develop “Super Mario Galaxy,” an obstacle course-style game he previewed Thursday. It will come out later this year. SAN FRANCISCO – Video-game developers should resist the temptation to produce only sequels of established hits and games based on horror and revenge, Nintendo Co.’s top designer said Thursday. Video-game guru Shigeru Miyamoto said his industry’s reputation has suffered in the past decade. Designers have failed to deliver titles that bring joy to the widest possible spectrum of players, focusing too often on hard-core gamers and their lust for gore and realism, he said. “I always want that first reaction to be emotion, to be positive – to give a sense of satisfaction, glee,” Miyamoto told thousands of developers attending the annual Game Developer Conference. “Certain obstacles may temporarily raise feelings of suspense, competition, even frustration. But we always want that final result, that final emotion, to be a positive one.” Miyamoto’s emphasis on plucky, fantastic, upbeat games contrasts with the slew of violent but popular games today – titles such as “Grand Theft Auto,” “Mortal Kombat” and “Resident Evil.” A growing number of politicians, educators and psychiatric experts cite studies linking violent games and aggressive behavior.
It wasn’t the real thing — that begins in Russia later this month — but a deadly serious competition nevertheless that Peru’s prison authorities are calling the first World Cup of prisons.Anticipation of the Andean nation’s first appearance at a World Cup finals in 36 years has reached fever pitch, and for its chronically overcrowded prisons, the shadow prison tournament provided a rare, sweet breath of freedom.“At last I can breathe a little air,” sighed Francis Valero, a tattooed 27-year-old locked up in Lima’s Lurigancho jail for drug trafficking. “We are hoping this will help us get reintegrated into society for good conduct.”Each of the 16 prisons included in the unique competition took the name, and the colors, of a country participating in the finals.A prison warden stand guard as inmates from Peruvian jails take part in a mock World Cup tournament at a prison in Huaral, Peru, on May 15, 2018 © AFP / CRIS BOURONCLEAll the matches observed the national anthems of each participating “national team” and officiating at the matches were a trio of professional referees.The initial phases of the monthlong competition, which involved shackled inmates crisscrossing the country in buses amid high security, was played in dusty exercise areas. The prize for the finalists? Playing in the wide open spaces of the capital’s massive 60,000-capacity Lima Stadium.– High security –Inmates play soccer © AFP / ERNESTO BENAVIDESFor security reasons, the stands at the stadium were almost empty. The few family members permitted per player were vastly outnumbered by 200 armed police wearing bullet-proof vests.But that did not stop them from living the moment as if they were fans, and players, in a real World Cup finals.Peru, represented by Lurigancho prison, beat “Russia” — a team from Chimbote prison in northern Peru — on penalty kicks after it ended all square at full time.The champions received a cup, gold medals and sports outfits as prizes.“I feel free for a moment, I know that I will go back very soon. This title, I dedicate it to my family, the sacrifice was worthwhile,” said victorious Lurigancho player Thomas Manuel Aguirre, serving a sentence for aggravated robbery.“The magic of football is that it has what establishes the rules of a community,” said National Penitentiary Institute head Carlos Vasquez told AFP.“In football, just like in a community, we face a team and we have to understand that’s it’s not an enemy but the other side, you have to play by the rules of the game.”– ‘Critical overcrowding’ –Like a real tournament, the tournament was grouped into four “host” prisons in cities in Ancon, Chimbote, Ica and Lima.The semi-finals were played in Lurigancho, which has the dubious reputation of being the most overcrowded of Peru’s 69 prisons. Built to houses 3,500 prisoners, it is home to 9,700 inmates, many of them categorized as “highly dangerous.”“Overcrowding is critical in Peruvian prisons, where there are 187,000 inmates. But you sense it less when there is order,” Vasquez said, after handing out the winners’ medals after the final.“The inmates may have violated the rules, they may have committed a crime, but football unites them along with the nation with the country’s participation in the World Cup.”For inmate Omar Jaramillo Mendez, in jail for aggravated robbery, it was a chance to get a feel for life outside prison walls again.“For us it represents something important, that we, as human beings, reintegrate into society and become better people in the future,” he said.0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000A shadow prison tournament provided a rare, sweet breath of freedom as anticipation of Peru’s first appearance at World Cup finals in 36 years reached fever pitch © AFP / ERNESTO BENAVIDESLIMA, Peru, Jun 2 – It sounds like a punchline: how does a team of prisoners win the World Cup? On penalties!That’s how Peru did it, getting out of jail to beat Russia in a tense final at the giant Lima Stadium last week.
Niall Mór Centre News:Every Monday evening weight watchers.Every Tuesday evening slimming world JC Fitness Monday – Saturday contact John on: 087 9617431 Day Safe Pass Course Saturday 30th May contact above numberCourses starting in May 2015:Beginners & Intermediate Spanish Digital PhotographyCookery ClassArt ClassBusiness Administration starting SeptemberBookkeeping Course Anti Natal classes and Breast Feeding Group contact Aileen: 07497 31694COMMUNITY NOTICE: WEIGHT WATCHERS CLASS EVERY MONDAY AT NIALL MÓR CENTRE was last modified: April 14th, 2015 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:CommunityFeaturesNiall Mor CentreNotices
Adrian McCool is accused of causing death by dangerous driving. Pic by North-West News-pix.A FARMER who was forced to pull over after the sheep trailer he was towing suffered a puncture – has appeared before a jury at Letterkenny Circuit Court where he is accused of causing death by dangerous driving.Adrian McCool pleaded not guilty to causing the death of 53-year-old John O’Donnell who died in road traffic collision in the townland of Cappry, outside Ballybofey on November 13th, 2013. At the trial yesterday, Garda Elaine Gordon, who was one of the first Gardaí on the scene – gave evidence in relation to the fatal collision.She told the court, “I was on traffic control duty between Bridgend and Killea, when I received word that there had been a road traffic accident.“My colleague Garda Mulkearns and I made our way to the scene of the accident, but the weather was dreadful.“There was very, very heavy rain and visibility was very poor and Garda Mulkearns had his wipers on full.”The court heard that one of the first people Garda Gordon spoke to was Mr Terry Temple, who was the driver of the Toyota Land-Cruiser that Mr O’Donnell collided with.Garda Gordon said she carried out a breath test on Mr Temple and that he was fully compliant with her.She confirmed that Mr Temple passed the breath test.Garda Gordon then told the court, “I then spoke to Mr Adrian McCool and asked him for his details.“I then also carried out a breath test on him, and he also passed, he was also fully compliant with me.“Mr McCool then said, ‘I was pulling in when I got a puncture, I was not fully in when I heard a loud bang. ‘It’s my cousin’s trailer and I don’t know if the lights are working on it.”The trial continues this morning.MAN ACCUSED OF DEATH BY DANGEROUS DRIVING SAID HE DID NOT KNOW IF TRAILER LIGHTS WERE WORKING was last modified: February 11th, 2016 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)